Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.41590°N / 111.495°W
Additional Information County: Wasatch
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6194 ft / 1888 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Few would consider this a mountain but it does meet the prominence criteria to count as an official summit in Utah. Thousands of people drive around this hill daily between Provo and Heber City as highway189 almost circles around it. This is a good winter trip because of good access, little avalanche danger and summer offers other much better options. If the snow isn't too deep, the summit has a really neat chair made out of stone.

Chair HillFrom the rail trail on the other side of Deer Creek Reservoir


 

Wallsburg Bay Group Area
Wallsburg Bay Group Use Area
Misty view of summit
Chair Hill

Getting There

Take Highway 189 east from Orem or west from Heber City. When in the area of Deer Creek Reservoir, pull out the map and stop at the Wallsburg Picnic Area. In winter, park across highway 189 from the picnic area on the east side where Highway 222 (Main Canyon Road) goes east.

Chair Hill MapChair Hil Map

Route

Cross Highway 189 (the most dangerous part of the climb) to the access road to the Wallsburg Picnic Area. Walk up the road, past the picnic tables to the end of the developed area. You'll first have to go up and over a small mound before tackling the bigger one. Hike up East Ridge until you are at the summit. In summer, there is less brush on the south face and you can start the climb in the picnic area of course.
 

Looking down route
Looking down
Snowshoe Trail
Snowshoe Trail
View down to trailhead
Looking down to trailhead
Up the hill
Going up hill

The Chair

The Chair of Chair Hill
The Chair of Chair Hill
The Chair
The Chair of Chair Hill

Prominence Fact

There are 77 peaks with 300+ feet of prominence inside the highway loop of I-15, I-80 and Hwy 189. "Chair Hill" is number 77.

Core 77 prominence peaks77 peaks inside the highways have 300+ prominence

Views

Mount Timpanogos
Mount Timpanogos
Wallsburg Ridge
Wallsburg Ridge
Mill Canyon PeakMill Canyon Peak

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

rcole_2000 - Apr 3, 2020 3:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Additional info

This is part of Deer Creek state park so it does cost $5 to walk in and $10-15 to park there. I went up and over the first mound on the way up, this can also be avoided by following the shoreline from the parking lot, crossing a tiny creek and then heading up the ridge. Fun, unique hike!!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1