Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.22850°N / 111.55402°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10435 ft / 3181 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Corral Mountain is found about a mile south from Provo Peak. It is a part of the ridge that runs north to south from Freedom Peak to Provo Peak and extends to Corral Mountain. While it is only about 10,450 feet, it still has commanding views of Provo Peak and the lesser, lower peaks of Buckley Mountain, Maple Mountain, and Y Mountain to the west. Perhaps the best views of Corral Mountain are from the south, and is recognized by the familiar terraces, similar to those that also cover the Cascade saddle, Shingle Mill Peak, and parts of the west side of Provo Peak. Corral Mountain clearly has the largest concentration of CCC terraces on its west face, but the east side just south of Corral Mountain is also covered with an equal number of terraces.

There are a couple different ways to reach the summit of Corral Mountain, and the routes described are summer routes.

Getting There and Route Description

The best way to get to trailhead for Corral Mountain is to hike up the west side of the Corral Mountain massif, which is best reached from the Kolob Basin Overlook which is along the Squaw Peak Road/Trail. Squaw Peak Road is accessed from Provo Canyon and Hwy 189. From Salt Lake City take I–15 South towards Provo. Continue on I-15 to the 800 North Orem exit. Follow 800 North east through Orem to Hwy 189 in Provo Canyon. Within two miles watch for a sign on the left indicating the Squaw Peak Trail. It begins as a paved road but after a couple miles turns into a left. The road is paved for about another .25 miles then becomes a dirt road. continue on the dirt road, you'll pass the Rock Canyon Campground on your right, and then the road becomes considerably more rough. While a high clearance vehicle is recommended, I made it to Kolob Basin Overlook in my passenger vehicle. From its beginning of Squaw Peak Road, it is 15.8 miles to the Kolob Basin Overlook.

One may also approach from the south end of Squaw Peak Road. Take the Springville exit where WalMart is, which is 400 South. Head east down 400 South for 3 miles. At the three-way stop, turn right onto Canyon Rd. Take Canyon Road for 7.3 miles. Along the way you'll take the left fork just past the golf course. 5.3 miles from the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon Rd. Turn left onto Squaw Peak Trail. Take Squaw Peak Trail for 8.3 miles as it winds its way north and arrives at Kolob Basin Overlook. The road is extremely rough from that end of Squaw Peak Trail.

One will procede east up the ATV trail the goes up the ridge from the Kolob Basin Overlook parking area. The ATV trail will quickly head northeast up the west face of Corral Mountain. The ATV trail will take you through stands of aspens as it makes its way to the terraces it slowly peters out. Make your way along one of the CCC terraces to a ridge that runs west from the top of the Corral Mountain massif. You may need to routefind or find game trails to reach the ridge finger. Once on the finger head up it due east to the top of the massif. Ridge walk along the top for about about one mile to the high point of the Corral Mountain massif.

Another possible route that I want to try next summer is a ridge walk from Shingle Mill Peak all the way south to Corral Mountain. It looks a little dicey from Freedom Peak to Provo East Peak. However, once one reaches Provo Peak, the ridge walk to Corral Mountain looks relatively straightforward.

Red Tape

No red tape here. There are no permits required nor fees. Just be considerate when hiking or camping, which normally includes no campfires.

Camping

While camping is allowed, be aware that there is no permanent water source near the Kolob Basin Overlook. Knights Spring would be your best possible source for water, which is found a half mile north of the Kolob Basin Overlook, on the west side of Squaw Peak Trail.