Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 41.28297°N / 81.56559°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cuyahoga Valley National park

Ohio's only National Park, the Cuyahoga Valley acts as a 33,000 acre "buffer zone" between Akron and Cleveland. Though it is within 30 minutes in either direction of 2 major cities, this park is secluded and seems worlds away from urban areas.

The Cuyahoga River, "crooked river", winds through the valley giving way to floodplains, steep ravines, and beautiful upland forests. There are several backcountry trails, and the easily accessible Ohio & Erie Towpath Bike/Hike trail.

The park offers an array of displays of 19th and early 20th century sustainable farming while catering to contemporary interests with art exhibits, outdoor concerts and scenic railroad tours. It includes compatible use sites not owned by the federal government, including several parks in the Metro Parks, Serving Summit County system, Blossom Music Center, and the Hale Farm & Village. In the mid 1980s, the park hosted the National Folk Festival.

Waterfalls, rolling hills, and lazy, winding river scenery attract many visitors. Steep narrow ravines, a rolling floodplain, and lush farmland contrast one another throughout the park. Animal life is also plentiful.

Getting There

Cuyahoga Valley National park

Plane
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and Akron-Canton Regional Airport offer many daily flights to the area.

Car
Cuyahoga Valley National Park can be accessed by many different highways, including I-77, I-271, I-80 (Ohio Turnpike), and State Route 8. Park signs are visible from each of these freeways as you get close to the valley. For more details call (216) 524-1497 or (800) 445-9667.

The center of the park is located in Peninsula, OH.

Red Tape

Towpath Trail, Cuyahoga Valley

Entrance to the park is free. Since there is no camping within the park, there are no permits, reservations, etc.

There are several hotels in the nearby area, and the Inn at Brandywine Falls is an exceptional bed & breakfast.

External Links

Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Stanford Hostel

Summit/Akron Visitor Center

Camping

Flowers of Cuyahoga Valley

There is no backcountry camping within the park, but there are several area campgrounds.

Area Camping