Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.78578°N / 116.94539°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5510 ft / 1679 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Death Valley south from  Daylight Peak
Death Valley south from Daylight Peak
The Daylight Pass area is one of my favorite places in Death Valley. It marks the dividing line between the Funeral Mountains to the south and the Grapevine Mountains to the north. There are several nice little desert peaks that are easily accessed from the pass and have outstanding views. "Daylight Peak", (unnamed on topo) in the Grapevines is the highest one next to the pass and the summit is less than a mile from the road. It can be done in a few hours and the views rival that of popular Corkscrew Peak 3.5 miles to the west. There is an extensive panorama that includes central Death Valley, the Panamint Range, up and down the Funerals and the Grapevines with the Bullfrog Hills and the Bare Mountains to the east in Nevada.

Getting There

 
Panamint Range from Daylight Pass area, Death Valley
Over Death Valley to the Panamint Range from near Daylight Pass
From Stovepipe Wells: Go east on Hwy. 190, past the sand dunes 7.3 miles to the road going north to Scotty's Castle. Turn left and go a half mile to Hwy. 374, the road to Beatty Nevada. Turn right and drive northeast 12.5 miles to Daylight Pass (4,316') and park. The peak is right there to the west. Take the southeast ridge or east slope to the summit. The southeast ridge is a little longer but more interesting with better views along the way.
From Furnace Creek: Go north on Hwy. 190 10.5 miles. Turn right on the Beatty Cutoff Road and go 9.5 miles to Hwy. 374. Go right 6 miles to Daylight Pass.

Red Tape

 
North to Wahguyhe Peak
North to Wahguyhe Peak from Daylight Peak
There is a 20 dollar entrance fee into Death Valley National Park good for 7 days. 80 dollars will get you an America the Beautiful Federal Lands and Recreations pass good for all National Parks for 1 year from the date of purchase.

Camping

 
East from  Daylight Peak
East from Daylight Peak
For Death Valley National Park campgrounds click here.

You can also car camp outside the national park boundaries on the unpaved road to Chloride Cliffs. Go 4.5 miles from Daylight Pass towards Beatty on Hwy. 374 and turn right (south) at a dirt junction. Drive in as far as you like and find a pull-out off the road. 2 wheel drive is ok on the flat before it climbs to Chloride Cliff.  
East from  Daylight Peak
East from Daylight Peak, southeast ridge

Desert Summits

This is the book on hiking Desert Peaks