Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.45060°N / 111.72409°W
Additional Information County: Utah
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8500 ft / 2591 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dharma from top of rock slide
From the 3 parking spaces provided at the Trailhead, head across the street to the east where you'll find a small trail. From the beginning of the trail, you can see a big rockslide on the south side of the canyon's mouth. There is a trail that runs along the top of the rockslide. Let that be your goal. There is new construction going on, as of October 2, 2009, and the start of the trail will pass to the south of this new construction. Follow the trail across a little stream, up a small hill and you'll find yourself in a ravine type drainage. From there the trail winds in the wash, then exits the other side. Follow those game trails onto the ridge and begin ascending the ridge, with the rockslide as your goal. There is a series of trails that zig-zags, and criss-crosses up the ridge. It doesn't matter which one you take, as long as you are ascending and heading east-southeast up the ridge. At the .7 mile marker, you should find yourself on a decent trail at the top of the rockslide. Head up the trail til mile 1.07. At this point the trail should've faded into almost nothing due to fallen trees and overgrowth, and you should be in the Preston Canyon wash. There is a small cairn there to let you know where the trail is on your return. You don't want to miss this cairn on the return! At this point in the wash, you will see a couple washes to the east-southeast. You can take either wash, and head up the wash. The going is difficult, very steep, boulders and fallen trees to climb over, and there is no trail.

Devil's Eye is an arch on the East side of a little hump of rock. The hump of rock is located directly south of Dharma Peak down the ridge. The ridge down from Dharma is extremely steep, but it levels out for some distance. At the end of the level section, is the hump of rock where Devil's Eye is located.

Due to a fire on the mountain in 2000, all the tall beautiful pine trees have been burned and you can now easily see the hump of rock on which Devil's Eye is located. You can keep your eye on the final destination the entire time during the hike after you reach the wash portion of the hike.

Getting There

From I-15, take the Alpine/Highland, a.k.a. Thanksgiving Point exit and head East towards American Fork Canyon. Turn left at 5300 West, a.k.a. Alpine Highway. Head North, straight through roundabout, and turn right (East) on 100 South. Follow this road, straight through a stop sign until it T's. Hand a right, and then a quick left on to E Preston Dr. Follow Preston east til it bends north. After a little bit, you'll see a little parking area, for 2 or 3 cars on the left side. Parking is on the left (West) side of the road, Trailhead is on the right side (East) side of the road, directly across from where you park.

Red Tape

Devil s Eye
No red tape. Hike is free to do, just taxing :)

Camping

Devil s Eye looking North to Dharma
Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.