Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.32722°N / 72.90466°W
Additional Information County: New Haven
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 366 ft / 112 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Downtown New HavenDowntown New Haven and the Long Island Sound seen from the summit

For city dwellers who can’t make it to the mountains, East Rock Park brings a mountain to the city. Recognizable by its sheer 350-ft. western face and the white granite Civil War monument that rises from it, the eponymous rock is by far the most conspicuous landmark in the park, which also encompasses the humbler summits of Indian Head and Snake Rock. Residents of the neighborhood to which it lends its name can be seen jogging, biking, and hiking its trails all four seasons of the year, and its ample picnic areas at base and summit are a magnetic draw throughout the warmer months. East Rock is a traprock ridge belonging to the Metacomet Ridge. Its nearest visible neighbor along the same formation is West Rock, visible from the summit and points along the way. The park plays host to a remarkable variety of wildlife. A keen eye might spot a beaver improving its dam in the Mill River, and flocks of wild turkeys are on regular patrol. For novice birdwatchers, there's a short nature trail along the Mill River with interpretive signs depicting local fauna.

 
Canoeing on the Mill River, below East Rock The Mill River and East Rock, seen from Orange St in New Haven
 
East Rock s Steepest Face Up close to East Rock's steepest face
 
Peering out to Sleeping Giant Peering out to Sleeping Giant (R) and the Mill River

Getting There

East Rock Park is situated on the boundary between New Haven and Hamden. If you arrive by car, the most convenient parking area is located on the Hamden side, accessible via Park Drive, located between Ridge Rd and Hartford Turnpike. (See External Links below for complete directions). Multiple entrances are open to walkers and bikers; the most convenient from the East Rock (neighborhood) side is to follow Orange St. to its end immediately below the summit and follow the road or trails from there.

 
Forsythia Wall Spring bloom along the western face
 
Along the Mill River A pleasant greenway along the Mill River
 
The East Rock Civil War Monument The East Rock Civil War monument at the summit

Routes

There are several enjoyable ways to the top of East Rock. Certainly the most dramatic are the Giant Steps (red triangle), notched directly into the rock’s steep face. The steps are accessible from their intersection with the gentler white trail, which travels along the Mill River and wraps gradually uphill. A paved service road closed to regular traffic also leads to the summit from an entrance across the street from Rice Field. See the park map (External Links) for complete trail information.

 
Giant Steps The Giant Steps
 
The New Haven Harbor The New Haven Harbor, seen from the summit
 
Lake Whitney Dam Lake Whitney Dam, opposite the covered bridge

Red Tape

Red Tape in East Rock Some canine red tape in East Rock

There are no fees for parking or entry to the park. Opening hours are sunrise to sunset. Dogs must be leashed. Officially, bicycles are permitted only on paved roads. There are no camping facilities in the park.

External Links

Official East Rock Park information (including directions, trail map, and complete rules) Friends of East Rock Park

Covered Bridge, East Rock ParkThe newly restored covered bridge by the Eli Whitney Museum, just below East Rock