Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.26992°N / 73.38447°W
Additional Information County: Fairfield
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 500 ft / 152 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Great LedgeGreat Ledge

Great LedgeGreat Ledge

Located within Devil's Den is an undisturbed wilderness of 1756 acres of woodlands, wetlands, and rock ledges. 21 miles of well-marked trails provide visitors with access to many of the Den's areas of interest, such as Godfrey Pond, the Saugatuck Wildlife Refuge, the Great Ledge, and Ambler Gorge. The diverse reserve is home to 145 species of birds, 23 species of mammals, and 475 varieties of trees and wildflowers. Because of the pristene nature of the area, many activities such as mountain biking and rock climbing aren't allowed in the reserve. Luckily for us, the Great Ledge lies just outside of the reserve...

The bulk of the ledge is several hundred feet wide, about 60-80 feet tall, and mostly vertical granite with some overhangs. With many sturdy trees on top, it is a great top-rope, as well as traditional climbing area. There exists very little beta on named climbs in the area, but with all the chalk witnessed on the wall, there are plenty of visitors. As I learn more of the area I will post additional routes. In the meantime, let this page serve as your guide on how to get there and what lies to be discovered when you arrive.

Directions

Great Ledge - BoulderGreat Ledge - boulder

Great LedgeGreat Ledge - far right

There are two ways to access the Great Ledge easily:

Dayton Road: A longer but well-worn path. Access Route 53 from either the south (from the Merritt/Route 15) or north (I84) and drive until you reach Saugatuck Reservoir. In the middle of the reservoir you will see Tudor Road on the opposite side of the street. Follow it up the hill until you see Dayton Road on the right. The trail head is on the left, parking on the right, 41.45075 -73.432944. You have to walk up a driveway to get to the trail. Follow the Pinchbeck Trail on white, then yellow, then white blazes for 1/2 mile until you reach the top of Great Ledge, where a nice view of Saugatuck Reservoir awaits you.

Route 53: A shorter, but less obvious path. Access Route 53 from either the south (from the Merritt/Route 15) or north (I84) and drive until you reach Saugatuck Reservoir.In the middle of the reservoir look for a giant red and white "No Littering" sign on the opposite side of the road. The 5-vehicle parking area lies 100 feet north of the sign on the reservoir side. Once you've parked, cross the street and head perpendicularily into the woods. The Great Wall is about 800 feet into the forest, curving slightly to the left and uphill.

Weather


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
paulluciano

paulluciano - Apr 4, 2011 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Route 53 Parking

The parking area is here: 41.27166 -73.38040. Park here and you will see a trail that leads down the hill and away from the parking area with the reservoir your left. Go over the small bridge where the trail goes over a creek. That is where you want to cross the road & enter the woods. Look for a large white sign with red letters saying "$35 to $90 Fine For Littering". I have found the best way to walk to the ledge is to stand next to the sign and use a compass. Dial your compass to 260* and walk straight. Total walking time is about 10 minutes.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.