OverviewFruška Gora (Serbian Cyrillic: Фрушка гора, Hungarian: Tarcal, Latin: Alma Mons) is a mountain in the north of Syrmia, Serbia, sometimes also called the Jewel of Serbia for its beautiful landscapes, nature and countryside. A smaller part of the mountain, in the west, is located in Croatia.It is also the first national park in Serbia.The highest summit is Crveni chot (539 meters).Fruska Gora is also popular for the Fuska Gora marathon which is held every year around may,more about it (serbian only) http://www.fruskagora.rs/html/fruskogorski_maraton.htm
NameThe mountain's name derives from the old Serbian name for the Frankish people: Fruzi (sing. Frug; adj. Fruški). The literal translation of "Fruška Gora" would be "the Frankish Mountain". It received this name due to its function as a natural border during Frankish campaigns. During the time of the Roman Empire, its name was Alma Mons ("Fertile Mount").
Getting ThereThere is an airport in Belgrade and from there can use a car,bus or a train to get to Novi Sad
Red TapeThere are no red tapes,you only need a passport if you are crossing the Croatian Serbian border in west Fruska Gora.
MonasteriesThere are over a dozen Serbian Orthodox monasteries located on Fruška Gora. According to historical data, these monastic communities were historically recorded since the first decades of the 16th century. Legends, however, place their founding to the period between the 12th and 15th centuries. The monasteries are concentrated in an area 50 kilometers long, and 10 kilometers wide. In the course of centuries of their existence, these monasteries sustained the spiritual and political life of the Serbian nation.
Fruška Gora Monasteries were declared Monuments of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1990, and are protected by Serbia.
* Beočin - The time of founding is unknown. It is first mentioned in Turkish records dated in 1566/1567.
* Bešenovo - According to the legend, the Bešenovo monastery was founded by Serbian King Dragutin at the end of the 13th century. The earliest historical records about the monastery date from 1545.
* Velika Remeta - Traditionally, its founding is linked to King Dragutin. The earliest historical records about the monastery date to 1562.
* Vrdnik-Ravanica - The exact date of its founding is unknown. The records indicate that the church was built at the time of Metropolitan Serafim, in the second half of the 16th century.
* Grgeteg - According to tradition the monastery was founded by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk (Despot Vuk Grgurević) in 1471. The earliest historical records about the monastery date to 1545/1546.
* Divša - It is believed to have been founded by Despot Jovan Branković in the late 15th century. The earliest historical records about the monastery date to the second half of the 16th century.
* Jazak - The monastery was founded in 1736.
* Krušedol - The monastery was founded between 1509 and 1516, by Bishop Maksim (Despot Đorđe Branković) and his mother Angelina.
* Kuveždin - Traditionally, its foundation is ascribed to Stefan Štiljanović. The first reliable records of it are dated in 1566/1569.
* Mala Remeta - The foundation is traditionally ascribed to the Serbian King Dragutin. The earliest historical records relating to the monastery are dated to the middle of the 16th century.
* Novo Hopovo - According to tradition, the monastery was built by the Despots of the House of Branković. The first reliable mention of the monastery is dated to 1641.
* Privina Glava - According to the legends, Privina Glava was founded by a man named Priva, in the 12th century. The earliest historical records about the monastery are dated in 1566/1567.
* Petkovica - According to the tradition, founded by the widow of Stefan Štiljanović, Despotess Jelena. The earliest historical records mentioning the monastery are dated to 1566/1567.
* Rakovac - According to a legend written in 1704, Rakovac was founded by a certain man, Raka, courtier of Despot Jovan Branković. The legend states that Raka erected the monastery in 1498. The earliest historical records mentioning the monastery are dated to 1545/1546.
* Staro Hopovo - According to the tradition, the monastery was founded by Bishop Maksim (Despot Đorđe Branković). The first reliable mention of the monastery dates back to 1545/1546.
* Šišatovac - The foundation of the monastery is ascribed to the refugee monks from the Serbian monastery of Žiča. The reliable facts illustrating the life of the monastery date back from the mid 16th century.
External LinksNational Park of Fruska Gora
NOTICEIF ANYONE WANTS ADMIN PRIVILLEGES ON THIS PAGE SEND ME A PM,I AM TO BUSSY TO ADD INFO SO...
Additions and Corrections[ Post an Addition or Correction ]