OverviewThis is the highest peak in Bucegi mountain area. It is a very populary peak in Romania because of the very easy way to reach the area. Bucegi mountains have a huge plateau and peak Omu is the highest point in this plateau.
The atraction on this mountain it`s not the peak but the big variety of routes for any climbing skills.
To reach the plateau and the peak Omu you have to gain more then 1500m, but all the routes can be done in less then a day.
Beside the routes you have the possibility to reach the plateau by cable transportation from the city Sinaia or Busteni.
The easiest route is a F and you have a variety of routes to chose from.
In peak area it`s a hut and meteo station.
Routes to reach this peak:
a. easy routes:
- Cerbului valley - F; 6 hours; trekking route; marked
- Hut Poiana Izvoarelor - Hut Malaiesti - peak Omu - F; 6-8 hours; marked; trekking route
- Jepilor valley - Babele Hut - peak Omu - F; 5 - 6 hours; marked; trekking route
- Hut Poiana Izvoarelor - peak Bucsoiu - peak Omu - F ; 6 - 7 hours; marked; trekking route
- ridge peak small Bucsoiu - 6 hours; PD; very easy climbing
- ridge Morarului - 7 hours; AD- ( max.UIAA IV); easy climbing
- Adanca valley - 7 hours; PD
- Rapa zapezii valley - AD-
- Bucsoiu valley - PD
- Morarului valley - PD
- Gaura valley F ; marked; trekking route
- Ciubotea valley F ; marked; trekking route
- Clincea valley F ; marked; trekking route
b. More than 100 climbing routes up to ED+
Getting ThereTo reach this mountain you have to choose between two major starting points:
1. From east: Sinaia or Busteni - you will reach one of this town by car (DN1) or by train from Bucharest (Romania capital).
Both of them have alot of hotels, restaurants because both are turistic citys. In winter it`s possible to practice winter sports.
For romanian climbers Busteni city has the same sense like Chamonix for the french climbers.
2. From west: Bran - you will reach this town by car from the major city Brasov.
If you reach Bran city don`t miss the oportunity to visit the castle of Dracula!
In the area you may also reach an fortress from XV century (Rasnov) that guard this entire area.
In any of this starting points you may find Mountain Rescue Teams that will help you with informations about the routes, mountain conditions.
Red TapeIn romanian mountains you don`t need permits.
When To ClimbThis peak may be climbed in any month. Be very careful in winter because in many routes it`s a very big risk of avalances.
CampingIn Bucegi mountains you may camp anywhere. You may also sleep in huts.
Mountain ConditionsMax. temp. + 24C and min.temp. -35C.
You will find informations about mountain condition on: www.inmh.ro ; www.yahoo.com
More precise informations about mountain conditions you will find at the Mountain Rescue teams.
the bigest mountaineering web page about romanian mountains. but it`s only in romanian
www.costila.go.ro - only in romanian but very nice topos for most important climbing routes
www.roclimbing.net - nice topos for almost every mountain in Romania
www.fralpinism.ro - page of Romanian sport climbing and mountaineering federation
Additions and Corrections[ Post an Addition or Correction ]