Garelet Hill

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 55.46780°N / 3.3872°W
Additional Information County: Scottish Borders
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2231 ft / 680 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Garalet Hill I did on the 4th of May 2007.



It is not a large Hill of the Moffat Hills region but it has a fantastic feature on its Eastern face and when on the top of Garelet Hill at its OS-Trig point the views for a small hill are stunning at 680metres.
The valley between Garalet Hill and the Broad Law ridges of Muckle Side are dominated by the dark blue waters of the Talla Reservoir.

The views from here.
Going from North then clockwise include the following surrounding hills and summits:-
The Fine Culter Fell Range.
Broad Law
Lochcraig Head
White Coomb
Saddle Yoke
Hart Fell
Queensberry
Lowther Hills and Green Lowther

Garalet Hill is a small hill but is a very quick hill to ascend and the easiest route up is from the Talla Linnfoots Farm at the South end of the great Talla Reservoir. The ascent is about 400metres from the road level and although steep it is actually quite pleasent.

Most of hills listed in the above views i have done but i say to anyone visiting this area do as many of these fine hills as you can.

Getting There

Getting to the area could not be easier.
From the West.
By Motorway the main Carlisle / Glasgow A74(M) come off at Junction-15 onto the A701 for the town of Moffat.
Moffat is a traditional Scottish border town with lots of character. It has many a fine hotels and some lovely little B&B's.
The town has all the shops you would need before a day out on the hills.
When you are done in Moffat take a road signposted A701 to Peebles and Edinburgh. You follow this road past the Devils Beef Tub and Tweeds Well then through to the village of Tweedsmuir and take a right turn. Follow this road through towards St Marys Loch but the Garalet Hill is accessed from the far southern end of the great Talla Reservoir at Talla Linnfoots Farm.
The best route up crosses a large stream that feeds Talla Reservoir called Games Hope Burn at first and then ascends the South side of the hill via a steep ascent all the way up. As said before this ascent is about 400metres and for such a short distance is so rewarding.

Red Tape

The Scottish FREE TO ROME RULES apply here...!
So you can go anywhere at your will as long as you do not damage surrounding farm property.

Camping

Camping in this area is available along the shores of St Marys Loch but fires are a no no...
Moffat as a small town has alot of Hotel and Bed and Breakfast's.
I myself am not a camping type person but stay in the nice family type Bed and Breakfasts.
Follow these links for camping and hotels.
Camping
Bed and Breakfast
Visit Scotland is a useful website for visiting other Scottish places.
Visit Scotland

Local Weather

BBC 5-Day weather report for the Moffat area
The Moffat Hills conditions can under any circumstances deteriate fast.
I have had fantastic sunny starts to the day finishing in grey damp very bad visibility mist.
When there is snow up there it is the area up/down and around the steep cliffs on the East Face that can be dangerous as its this part that has the steepest areas of rocks and there are no well defined path sections that is also another risk.