GRASSES IN MOUNTAINS

GRASSES IN MOUNTAINS

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora, Informational, Scenery

Plants with inspiring inflorescences...

The Snezka massif seen from...
False Oat-grass...

A Latin name of the grass family Poaceae is taken from the large genus of this group, Poa. Previously a name Gramineae has been used. Relations between humans, some animals and grasses were created in our dark evolution and prehistory. A success of our civilization was strongly dependent on a man-grass interaction. Many grasses we use as crops and now they are our main food. The family includes over 620 genera with about 10,000 species. Grasses occupy a very broad spectrum of habitats, including mountains. Among the higher plants they are probably pioneers in a mountainous environment. Especially spectacular organs of grasses there are their inflorescences in the form of spikes or panicles, each composed of smaller organs called spikelets. A lot of grass species we can meet on subalpine and alpine meadows together with other herbs. Dense tufts of xerothermic species like Festuca pallens, F. ovina, Sesleria varia, Koeleria glauca, Avena barbata, Nardus stricta or Eragrostis pilosa create very picturesque associations on rocky walls.

IT WILL BE CONTINUED.........

Comments

No comments posted yet.