Wildflowers of the Southern Appalachians

Wildflowers of the Southern Appalachians

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora

Small Wonders

Sulphur on Heliotrope
Tiger SwallowtailTiger Swallowtail-- no, it's not a flower, but here's a nod to one of the agents helping make it all possible.

I am on record in another album of mine as saying that I think the blooming desert is nature's finest floral display, and one could easily and convincingly say the same thing about summer tundra, but the flowers of the southern Appalachians can vie with those of anywhere else. Their existence does not seem as miraculous as those of desert and tundra blooms do, but there is more variety and a longer growing season in the Southeast, and many a shutterbug has spent many an hour crouched behind a tripod in the Blue Ridge, the Smokies, and other Appalachian ranges in the pursuit of perfect wildflower photos. I do not claim my shots represent perfection, but they should show the diversity and color that abound in these mountains.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
dwhike

dwhike - Nov 1, 2006 10:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Beautiful...

I've been hoping someone would do a page on the flora of the southern mountains. I have developed a growing interest in trying to identify different plants along the trail, it astounds me the variety from place to place and month to month. Beautiful photos also, I have a few of my own, would you mind if I added them? Great addition to SP!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 1, 2006 10:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful...

Funny-- seconds ago, I posted similar comments about your waterfalls album. Thank you for your comments, and please attach. I'd especially like to see shots of wildflowers I don't have up, such as rhododendron. I've never gotten a shot of one that I liked. Any Turk's Cap Lilies or Trout Lilies or Lady Slippers?

dwhike

dwhike - Nov 1, 2006 10:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful...

I have a few shots that might work. You realize this page could get quite large with all the great wildflowers out there! The diversity of the Southern Appalachians is awesome.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3