Flowers of the Sierra Nevada

Flowers of the Sierra Nevada

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora, Scenery

Sierra Wildflowers

The Sierra Nevada mountain range in California is home to an abundance of beautiful wildflowers. This album is intended to serve as a refernce guide for identifying flowers. Post your photos with the name of the flower if possible and where the photo was taken. (Please post photos of flowers from the Sierra Nevada only.)

External Links

USDA Plants Database - a great reference database for identifying flowers
ITIS.gov - Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Authoritative taxonomic information on plants, animals, fungi, and microbes of North America and the world
UC Berkeley CalPhotos Website - California flowers database
The Jepson Herbarium at UC Berkeley  - Fforemost authority on the native and naturalized vascular plants of California



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 20
JasonH

JasonH - Jun 5, 2006 4:32 am - Voted 10/10

Great Idea!

I love your idea. I do have one question. I got a picture of a golden poppy that I would like to include but the poppy is found throughout California not just in the Sierra Nevada like you state. Can I go ahead and include it?

El Cuervo - Jun 12, 2006 9:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Good idea

I was surprised to see you linked to a photo I captured of a columbine on Shepherd Creek. I will post others in my album and you can link to them if you see fit. I do not know the names of the ones I will be posting, so if others can identify, please do.

El Cuervo

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 12, 2006 9:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good idea

I welcome your photos. You can add them directly to this page if you want. In fact, you have the ability to attach them to as many different pages as you like with the Attach feature. Thanks very much!

lisae

lisae - Jun 12, 2006 10:27 pm - Voted 10/10

great pictures

Thanks for setting up the album! I love flowers & looking at flower pictures.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 12, 2006 11:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great pictures

Thanks! Check back from time to time. Hopefully this page will grow into a nice collection of Sierra flowers!

mjrangel

mjrangel - Jun 13, 2006 12:22 am - Hasn't voted

Very nice idea!

Next time I'm out I'll try to turn on my macro vision. I'd love to contribute to your album.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 13, 2006 2:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice idea!

Thanks!

Scott M.

Scott M. - Jun 16, 2006 2:22 pm - Voted 9/10

Link

Great idea and I'll enjoy using and adding to this as a resource. Another handy link for flower ID is UC Berkeley's Digital photo library.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 16, 2006 5:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Link

Thanks Scott. I look forward to your additions. I have used the CalPhotos website for reference and will add the link to this page. Too bad they don't have thumbnail images in their listings. It would make flower identification much easier for amateurs like me.

Kerstin

Kerstin - Jun 30, 2006 1:34 am - Voted 10/10

A Wildflower book recommendation

The book I'd most recommend for people interested in Sierra Wildflowers is "Wildflowers of the Eastern Sierra and Adjoining Mojave Desert and Great Basin" by Laird Blackwell. His guide has great photos and descriptions of flowers not only from the High Sierra, but from the lower elevations of the Eastern Sierra. I've enjoyed grabbing this guide and wandering through the sagebrush near whatever campground I'm at--Four Jeffrey, Tinemaha Creek, Upper Sage Flat...If you encounter a wildflower, you'll probably find it in this guide.

There are a lot of other good wildflower guides, but I like how this one covers a wide variety of elevations.

tarol

tarol - Jul 10, 2006 4:46 pm - Voted 10/10

I love wildflowers :)

Nice page. If you would like to add a link, most of these are found in the Sierra...

http://www.tarol.com/ca_wildflowers.html

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 10, 2006 5:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I love wildflowers :)

Thanks for the link and for your additions. You have some wonderful photos!

tarol

tarol - Jul 10, 2006 5:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I love wildflowers :)

Thank you, finding and photographing wildflowers is one of my passions :) Thanks again for creating this page!

Vladislav

Vladislav - Sep 24, 2007 5:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Very nice album!

By the way, thanks for adding my picture of sky pilots to it. I added two more.
Vlad.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 25, 2007 12:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice album!

Glad you enjoyed the album. Thanks for the additions and for the vote!

ironcondor

ironcondor - Mar 24, 2010 10:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Wildflowers are Cool

Super photos!

Alpinist

Alpinist - Mar 25, 2010 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wildflowers are Cool

There are definitely some excellent photographers on SP, as evidenced by the photos in this album. Thanks for the vote!

AceSierra

AceSierra - Jul 3, 2012 11:28 am - Hasn't voted

More added

I added a bunch that haven't previously been included, though some are not the best shots. If people want to use this as a resource, it's better to just add anything new, regardless of how good a composed photo it is. I haven't found many websites that help identify flowers by looking at photos, but maybe I don't know where to look.

Also, I think it helps if the location of the photo is submitted as well. Some of these are hard to find, so if people know where to look, then it makes it easier to find.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 3, 2012 11:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: More added

Thanks for the additions! There is still a ton of flowers missing but every bit helps. FYI - the links at the top of this page will take you to some very good Sierra flower galleries.

AceSierra

AceSierra - Jul 4, 2012 12:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: More added

Yeah, those links are really good resources, but what I like to see is just a photographic catalog of plants/flowers broken down into groups...colors, family, whatever. Like this page...where there are several thumbnails to preview. I'm not so interested in the scientific aspect, I'm just a novice trying to determine names of ones I see, and the easiest way for me is to just browse photos. But there don't seem to be very many websites laid out like that.

Viewing: 1-20 of 20


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.