Gross Leckihorn

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.52792°N / 8.47534°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10056 ft / 3065 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Gross Leckihorn is an easy to climb peak close to the Rotondo Hut in the Central Switzerland.
Its located where the three cantons Wallis, Uri and Tessin come together and from where the water flows in three seas, the North Sea, the Adriatic sea and the Mediterranean sea.
The mountain is located next to the Gotthard pass, one of the most important north south routes of the Alps.
Its not a very difficult mountain, you dont need any gear for climbing.

Getting There

Starting point is Realp at the Furka pass.
This route is good for skiers and hikers.
Walk to the end of the Witenwasseren valley (2185 m) and follow the marks to the Rotondo hut. There are 33 rods marking the way.
From Realp to the Rotondo hut you have to ascend 1000m and about 9km walk.
With ski or snowshoes you will need 3 hours.

To the Gross Leckihorn

Short trip to the closest mountain of the Rotondo hut (500 m ascend and descent, 21/2 hours with return to the hut).
Walk south of the Rotondo hut into the saddle 200 m of the Leckipass (2892 m).
From there climb the north ridge of the Gross Leckihorn to the summit cross - depending on the conditions with the snow shoes or on foot.
On the same way back to the hut.
Gross Leckihorn

When to climb

You can climb the whole year, depending of the snowfalls and the weather it might be an avalanche danger.
Informations about the avalanche situation you can get actual at the Rotondo Hut

Camping

Cheap and good boarding houses and hotels in Realp, its also a very good idea to stay at the Rotondo hut. Its managed on request and in the high seasons of ski tours and in the summer time.