Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.53808°N / 9.02252°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10696 ft / 3260 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Grauhorn 3260m is a rarely visited peak on the border of the Swiss cantons of Ticino and Grisons. Grauhorn is in Lepontine Alps and in the Rhaetian Alps. The mountain is near the villages Aquila (canton Ticino) and Vals (canton Grisons). On the north side is the heavily disrupted Grauhorn-Glacier, on the east the Länta-Glacier. The Grauhorn-Glacier is sometimes almost impassable. The Grauhorn 3260m is the third highest 3000er of the Canton Ticino and the northern neighbour of the famous Rheinwaldhorn 3402m.

Rheinwaldhorn 3402m and Grauhorn 3260mRheinwaldhorn 3402m (left) and Grauhorn 3260m (right)

Route & Difficulty

Summer route:

Länta hut 2090m - Länta valley - Grauhorn glacier - Grauhorn
(if the glacier is to heavily disrupted, take the northwest ridge)

Difficulty: WS (PD) ¦ 1200 metres in altitude


Ski tour route:

Länta hut 2090m - Länta valley - Grauhorn glacier - Grauhorn


Difficulty: S (D) ¦ 1200 metres in altitude


Accommodations

Länta Hut 2090m - Link: www.laenta.ch

Mountain hotel Zervreila 1736m - Link: www.zervreila.ch

Länta Hut 2090mLänta Hut 2090m

Getting There

By public transport:

SBB & RHB-railway from Chur to village Ilanz. One takes the yellow bus and drives to Vals 1254m. Then get a taxi to Zervreila lake. The starting point to the Länta Hut.

Online train&bus schedule (public transport Switzerland): SBB schedule

Switzerland has one of the world's best public transport systems


By car:

From Chur to the village Ilanz. Forward to village Vals 1254m and to the Zervreila lake. The starting point to the Länta Hut.


Online Route scheduler: route scheduler in english and TCS.ch




Weather, climate and snow conditions in Switzerland

Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology

Weather SFDRS

Meteo News.ch

Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research Davos: www.slf.ch

Links

Switzerland Tourism: www.myswitzerland.com

Gisons Tourism: www.graubünden.ch

Good and favorable accommodations: www.rooms.ch

In Memory of Cyrill Rüegger

A note from the SP staff
Cyrill Rüegger, the member we all used to know as Cyrill and Digitalis, died on June 13th 2009 in an avalanche on the summit ridge of Piz Palü together with his wife Tanja and a common friend. They were swept down by the avalanche into a couloir underneath the east summit and died instantly. Their bodies were retrieved from the Palü Glacier by helicopter a day after the accident.

Cyrill joined SP in March 2006 and soon was one of the most prolific contributors on the site with almost 70 mountain and 5 range pages to his profile. He was an accomplished climber, bagging almost 1000 summits in not quite seven years. Among them are 35 4000ers and 272 3000ers, almost all of them in his home country Switzerland.

While contributing a lot on SP, Cyrill's real internet home was www.hikr.org where he contributed 585 mountain profiles and reports in his native language German. Cyrill also posted on www.bergsteigen.at and other climbing sites, often under his real name but also under the pseudonym Digitalis. He was a botanist by profession and also contributed his knowledge about medical plants to different websites. Cyrill will be greatly missed by all.

This page will be kept in honour of Cyrill, one of SP's most prolific members and most active mountaineers.

Rest in peace, brother!

The picture above was taken on the summit of Matterhorn on July 28th 2007.