Hogum Fork

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Hogum Fork Overview

Hogum Fork in Little Cottonwood Canyon is no easy tour. The approaches are long, the lower section is narrow/steep and eventually you will have to cross the Little Cottonwood Canyon river. Despite these challenges this fork is quite popular with big mountain skiers. Some of the bigger names in the Wasatch such as The Sliver Couloir, The Hypodermic Needle and the NW Couloir of the Pfeifferorn call Hogum Fork their home. If you love steep couloir with long approaches and a lovely river crossing than this is a must do for you.
Skinning Up The SliverTyler skinning up The Sliver Couloir
The Hypodermic NeedleLooking up at the Hypodermic Needle

The Sliver CouloirThe Sliver Couloir



Getting Up There

Start at the White Pine trailhead just below Snowbird Ski Resort. Hit the trail and start your gradual skin across White Pine Fork, Red Pine Fork and finally Maybird Gulch. Once your in Maybird look for the Obelisk and start heading up this east facing hill till you hit the ridge line.
The ObeliskThe Obelisk

The Sliver Couloir

The Sliver- The Sliver is easily considered one of the gems of Hogum Fork, if not of the entire Wasatch. The apron that leads up to the couloir allows you to skin 3/4 of the way up, which is a rariety when it comes to couloirs. The couloir itself is superb, just narrow enough to make turns, but not too wide that you forget you are in it. The view of the surrounding terrain here is AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL! For anyone who wants to see the beauty of the Wasatch this is the place. If you love a couloirs with an apron on the side than make this one on your to do list.
The Sliver CouloirThe Sliver Couloir
Skinning Up The SliverTyler skinning up The Sliver Couloir
Skinning up the Sliver CouloirTyler skinning up the Sliver Couloir
The Sliver CouloirThe Slilver Couloir





The Hypodermic Needle

The Hypodermic Needle- A canidate for the most well known line in the Wasatch, The Hypodermic Needle is sure not to dissapoint the big mountain skier. This couloir is HUGE and STEEP. There are several approaches to the top of the couloir, which include, straight up the couloir, up the couloir half way then traverse right onto the ridge (careful you will be on a hanging snowfield) or up Coalpit Gulch. These routes were listed in increasing difficulty. The top of this couloir approaches 50 degrees so what ever you do...do not fall. Sometimes, depending on the time of the year, there can be a small cliff in the middle so be sure to scout out your line well before getting too far in. Usually this is not an issue. Considering this couloir faces east be sure to get an early start...before the sun melts more danger.
The Hypodermic NeedleThe Hypodermic Needle
The Hypodermic NeedleLooking up at the Hypodermic Needle

The Pfeifferhorn's Northwest Couloir

The NW Couloir- Lying in a dark corner of Hogum Fork and comming directly off the summit of Utah's most iconic peak, the Pfeifferhorn, is a couloir that will definately only see the most extreme of skiers. This couloir contains a 50ft cliff in the middle that definatly keeps the rift-raft away. It is extremely steep and even more commiting. A fall in this couloir is a life threating situation. A rope is required and safer than safe avalanche conditions are a must. It is best to scope out this line before daring to attempt it. Its worth the effort if your into extreme skiing at its finest.

The NW CouloirThe NW Couloir

Hogum 200-600

Hogum 200-600 This series of west facing chutes are not always the best snow but they do make for a nice "entrance run" into Hogum Fork. Each one starts out mellow but quickly steepens up. It is very hard to get a handle on which chute you are entering until you are already in. Luckily there is not much in the way of cliffs so which ever chute you pick, the job of getting down will be accomplished. Be sure to use safe travel techniques in this area, avalanches are common on this hill. To get to the top of the Hogum 200-600 start by acending Maybird Gulch's Obelisk. From here look for the chute that fits your fancy.
Hogum 200-600Hogum 200-600

Essential Gear

Avalanche skills, beacon, probe, shovel, partner and common sense. Skis are highly recommended.


Geography
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.