Silver Fork

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Silver Fork in Big Cottonwood Canyon has several open bowls, steep chutes and excellent trees. As of the year 2010 this entire fork is ENDANGERED because of Solitude Ski Resort's recent expansion efforts. Please do your part and keep Silver Fork the way nature indended it to be.....part of the Wasatch Wilderness. The approach for usually starts up Grizzly Gulch (Little Cottonwood Canyon). Silver Fork's runs are not quite as long as they are elsewhere in the Wasatch, but this fork makes a great place for lap skiing.

Skiing FlannigansTroy skiing Flannigins on a fat snow year
Silver ForkSkiing North Davenport Nov. 7, 2008
Skiing Silver ForkTroy skiing Silver Fork
Skiing Silver ForkTroy skiing Silver Fork



















Getting Up There

Little Cottonwood Canyon: Skin up Grizzly Gulch from the top of the Little Cottonwood Canyon highway at Alta. Follow the cat track and sooner or later make your way up to the ridgeline on your left.
Skinning up Grizzly GulchTroy skinning up the belly of Grizzly Gulch
Skinning up Silver ForkTroy fighting the winds and the fog to get the powder goods in Silver Fork
Troy skinning up Grizzly GulchTroy skinning up Grizzly Gulch


































Big Cottonwood Canyon: Start at the Silver Fork Lodge and make your way through the neiborhoods till you hit the entrance of the fork. This is really only practicle if your headed to the Meadow Chutes.
A section of the PC RidgeTroy skinning up the Meadow Chutes
Skinning Silver ForkTroy and Ron skinning up Silver Fork
Skinning Silver ForkSkinning up to Flannigans.

Flannigans

Flannigans To find this avalanche path head to the eastern top of the fork. If your between two ridges looking up at a large bowl, hit the ridge on your left. There are several ways to enter Flanningans. Some have rocks early on in the season and others cliff out so be carefull. This is a major avalanche path so treat this run with respect.
Troy skiing Flanningans just before the avalanche startedTroy skiing Flanningans just before he triggered an avalanche.
FlannigansFlannigans










The Meadow Chutes

Meadow Chutes These east/north east facing chutes are most easily accessed from the Big Cottonwood side. In Silver Fork they are quite popular (and deadly) however they are still something worth skiing. Advice: head along the ridge till you find a Meadow Chute that calls out to the skier in you.
The killer avalanche in Silver Fork s Meadow ChutesThe fatal avalanche that killed a local backcountry skier in the Meadow Chutes. Jan 2010
A section of the PC RidgeSkinning up the Meadow Chutes
Skiing Silver ForkTroy skiing The Meadow Chutes
Meadow ChutesThe Meadow Chutes with avalanches present

North Davenport

North Davenport Steep and the most popular ski run that Silver Fork has to offer. It starts out steep and tracked out but shortly after dropping in it opens up. Due to this runs overall steepness it is a frequent avalancher, with several different release zones scattered amongest the slope. Charging North Davenport should only be considered on the most safest of days for sure.
Steep and Deep......Troy skiing Silver Fork s North DavenportTroy skiing North Davenport
Silver ForkSkiing North Davenport Nov. 7, 2008
North Davenport on ThanksgivingTroy skiing BLOWER powder early season in North Davenport
North DavenportNorth Davenport

The West Bowl

West Bowl The West Bowl is a more gentle but still slide worthy run located on the western side of the Fork. Worth skiing if your into gentle, wide open slopes. Too bad lots of people are into that....meaning you are not likely to get first tracks here unless you tour here late season.
Skinning up Silver ForkTroy skinning for another lap down the West Bowl
West BowlThe West Bowl

Essential Gear

Avalanche Skills, Beacon, Partner, Shovel, Probe and Common Sense. Skis are highly recommended.
The killer avalanche in Silver Fork s Meadow ChutesThe fatal avalanche in the Meadow Chutes. Jan 2010
Meadow ChutesThe Meadow Chutes with avalanches present
The avalanche in Silver ForkAn avalanche that Troy triggered in Flanningans (1-2 feet deep)



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.