Tanners Gulch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

If avalanche conditions are absoultly stable and your in the mood for some epic Wasatch skiing than Tanners Gulch is just for you. The climb (over 3,000 verticle) can be quite the workout, but the turns down are well worth the effort. This gulch is also used as an express route to Sunrise Peak, The SLC Twins and Mt. Dromedary.
Tanners Slide PathTanners Slide Path
The SLC TwinsA beautiful veiw of the SLC Twins from the top of Tanners Gulch
Sunrise and Dromedary PeaksFog rolling in over Tanners Slide Path



Getting There

Drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon till you see an avalanche sign that reads TANNERS SLIDE PATH. Go past this first sign and continue up till you hit the large bend in the road. Flip a U-turn here and park just above the second avalanche sign.
Climbing Tanners Slide Path Early morning headlamping up Tanners Slide Path
Tanners Slide Path1st light in Tanners Gulch

Ski Route Description

From the bend in the highway start heading up, down and sideways through the trees till you hit the main gully. From here just keep heading up till you hit the wide open apron. When your at the apron bear slightly left till you hit the main couloir.
Skiing Tanners GulchSkiing Tanners Gulch
Skiing Tanners GulchSkiing Tanners Gulch.

Essential Gear

Avalanche skills, bescon, partner, probe, shovel, and common sense are a must. Later in the year ice axes and crampons might also be usefull. Skis are highly recommended.
Tanners GulchTanners Slide Path



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.