Homer Youngs Trailhead - 187

Homer Youngs Trailhead - 187

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 45.30742°N / 113.60111°W
Additional Information County: Beaverhead
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7070 ft / 2155 m

Access to Homer Youngs Peak - Trail 187

From “downtown” Jackson, MT, go south on Hwy 43 for about 1/2 mile.

Turn west onto Miner Lake Road (FR 182).

Continue for approximately 11 miles to the Miner Lake Campground.

As you enter the campground, you will cross a cattle guard and another as you exit.

From the “exit” cattle guard, it’s about 1.4 miles to Trail 187. You will cross a stream bed and have a short steep hill to navigate on the way. You may require 4-wheel drive, depending upon current conditions.

At the bottom of the short steep hill the road forks. Though the forks “rejoin” after the hill, the left fork appears to be slightly less rugged.

Trail 187 starts as an old jeep trail on your right, and though obvious, is not signed.

Kelly Creek crosses the road about .3 mile beyond Trail 187. So if you reach Kelly Creek, you’ve driven too far.

Parking is limited at the trailhead but you should be able to find a spot to park which doesn’t block the road.

Be aware that Forest Service roads in this area are closed to motorized vehicles (other than snowmobiles) until May 15.

External Links

For information about the climbers' route accessed from this trailhead, see the link included in the picture's description.
Approaching the ridge line....From Trail 187, this ridge takes you to the summit of Homer Youngs Peak.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.