Hour Glass Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.36154°N / 111.63532°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Ice Climbing, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Hour Glass Couloir - Mt. Timpanogos, Utah

A lot of fun when the conditions are right. Keep a close eye on Avalanche conditions as Hour Glass Couloir is an avalanche chute. The Higher you go the steeper it gets. One can climb up to the top of the hour glass before the route would truly necessitate an ice axe. I used my trekking poles most of the way as it is not as steep as it appears from the city.

++++++++++

Route Update May 7th , 2011
Repeated the route.
Car to car - 9 hours moving at a moderate pace.
Left Car at 7 am, summited @ 1 pm
Left the summit at 1:30, returned to car at 3:55

Getting There

Starting at
Exit 272‎ off of I-15 - if coming from the North or South its is the same

1.
Head south on Exit 272 toward 800 N
go 0.1 mi
total 0.1 mi

2.
Turn left at W 800 N
About 7 mins
go 2.6 mi
total 2.8 mi


3.
Turn left at N 800 E
About 2 mins
go 0.9 mi
total 3.6 mi

4.
Turn right at Cascade Dr
About 1 min
go 0.5 mi
total 4.1 mi

5.
Sharp left onto Unknown road‎ - which is the parking lot on the North side of the road
go 217 ft
total 4.2 mi

This is key *** - start back tracking and walking up the dirt road which is closed off by the gate. The same road that you took a sharp left off of to get to the parking lot. walk the dirt road for approx 1.65 miles to a short "S" in the road to an obvious drainage which will lead up to and connect with the "Great Western Trail". Follow various paths towards Couloir for another approx 1.5 - 2 miles.

-Mileages maybe off, but you can see the route the entire time. Walk the dirt road until you are closest to the route, then bush whack.



Route Description

During the winter, hop on the avalanche tongue which is easier to catch by moving more to the NW and then simply - Crampon, skin, or walk up - straight up. Watch your step at the top as LARGE cornices can build up and you can not see when you leave the solid ground when approaching from the South side.

Essential Gear

Waterproof clothing, helmet, ice axe, headlamp, cell phone.I recommend bringing a LARGE tough garbage sack, punch your feet through the corners, pull it high enough to cover your pack, protect your gear and get as much distance out of the glissading as possible. -Gaiters, obviously.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.