Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.72307°N / 18.55569°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6286 ft / 1916 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Summit of Borovac (1.750m)On the summit of Borovac (1.750m), southern slopes of Jahorina mountain.


Jahorina is one of four Olympic mountains around city of Sarajevo located south-east from the City Center. It consists of several spurs which together make the massif long about 30km and approximately 15km wide.
The highest peak is Ogorjelica (1.916m). It is put under state protection as a forest park with rich flora and fauna. It was named probably by alpine maple (Acer visiani) which is specially characteristic for northern part under Gola Jahorina.

General Info

JahorinaMt. Jahorina (1.916m)
Jahorinski Klek (1.745m)Jahorinski Klek (1.745m)

Jahorina, from hiking point of view was not specially treated, with two transverse hiking trails going across, but it is known to public even before the WWII as a mountain with excellent ski-terrains. Ski slopes are located at northern side of the mountain in the area known as Gola Jahorina.

Its full recognition took place during the organisation of XIV Winter Olympic Games - "Sarajevo '84" being a place for competition in alpine disciplines for women. Jahorina is probably the most popular ski center in the country.

During summer it is suitable for longer and shorter hiking tours. This is not the mountain that will take your adrenaline level extremely high, but still offers some beautiful walks with fantastic views on surrounding mountains.


Getting There

Rose hip with ice Frozen rose hip below summit of Klek, on Jahorina mountain.

Final ascent on Klek (1.745m)Final ascent on Klek (1.745m)


The most usual approach to the Jahorina mountain is by car directly from Sarajevo to the Jahorina ski resort.

1. Take the main eastern exit from Sarajevo to direction of Pale. After 30 minutes you reach small town of Pale and in the town you will find direction points to Jahorina. After another 15 minutes of driving you will arive to Poljice, the entrance of the ski resort. Continue by the main road to Hotel Bistrica, where you can leave the car. From this point on foot you can reach the highest peak of Jahorina. (The road is open all year around).

2. The other approach, if you want to avoid the ski lifts, is to pass the Pale and continue toward town called Praca. Just out of Praca there is a turning on right side ( just near old Orthodox graveyard). From this point you follow the signs for Ruda Glava mountain hut.
After 4-5 kilometers the road turns into macadam road for another approx. 10km. After you reach the hut you can make some nice walks in the area.
(The road is not accessible in winter months).

Red Tape

At the end of the day...


Unfortunately, there are no any official rules to be followed but if you like nature you''ll certainly take care of it...

When to Climb

Olympic Mountain of Jahorina


The Jahorina is accessible whole year around.
In winter months it is very helpful to use snowshoes or tour skies.

Mountain Conditions

The weather forecast for Jahorina mountain range at Accuweather website.
free counters

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Dinaric AlpsMountains & Rocks