Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.62404°N / 111.60634°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Jefferson
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6805 ft / 2074 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kelly Mountain sits on the southern edge of the Big Hole Mountains. The Snake River sits next to its southern edge. This is home to a very popular local ski spot. In fact, the Kelly Canyon Ski Resort is only a few miles from the actual summit. This summit is probably visited hundreds of times a year for mainly the skiing but also individuals who have motorized vehicles like ATV's and dirt bikes pass by it every day during the warm season.

The peak itself is a 3-mile long volcanic ridgeline. This is a fun location if your looking for something close by and are living in or near Rigby, Idaho Falls, or Rexburg.

This peak is not something that is an exciting climb by no means. It is more of a gradual hike. A good way to start the season of hiking if you're looking for something earlier in the season when everything else is still covered in snow. I simply added this one just because I like to see all of a ranges mountains available on this site.

Getting There

On US HWY 26 east of Idaho Falls, take the signed road and head towards Heise and the Kelly Canyon Recreation location. If you are unfamiliar with the area, the easiest solution will be to bring it up on a GPS or take a map. 

Follow the paved road directly to the ski area, following the signs along the way. Right as you are passing the recreational area, the road turns into a gravel road. Continue down this for about a half mile. A parking location will be available for any size car. Depending on the time of year it can be busy enough to not get to park in this spot so you may have to improvise. Simply park the car and head out for your destination.

Route

During the summer, this area is heavily trafficked with ATV/Dirtbike trails. They web throughout the entire national forest. The best (easiest) way to get to the top would be to simply start up the ATV road and take the first right that you see (about 30 feet down the road). It will be gated off to prevent motorized vehicles from entering. Go around the gate and follow the road.

You can simply reach the summit by following the road all of the way to the top. Some switchbacks along the way. If you want a bit more of a challenge, feel free to just do minor bushwacking to the top and head straight up it. Or I prefer biking it when a road is to the summit. Just makes it an official challenge. A mountain biking trail is available at the summit called the SideWinder. That offers a really fun trip down. Careful though because dirt bikers are known to use it. 

This is a really relaxed hike depending on your current position. Elevation gain is roughly 500'. Enjoy it! The view at the top is amazing.

Round trip - 5 Miles (depending on how you approach it)

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

When to Climb

Any time of the year this peak can be summited or is summited. Just depends on what you prefer.

Camping

Camping is available all over the area for both tent camping and RVs. You can travel down any of the roads to find some. 

External Links

I found a lot of the descriptions on the site below to make this page including pictures. Check out the site! It has lots of information on potential Idaho Adventures!

https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/bookupdates/kelly-mountain-6805/



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Big Hole MountainsMountains & Rocks