Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.63583°N / 111.56789°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6713 ft / 2046 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lookout Mountain sit across from the Kelly Canyon Ski Area. It is not a heavily traveled summit nor is it a glamourous summit. Honestly, if you were just hiking around and got to the top of it, you would most likely pass it by with out a second thought. The summit at one point proabably offered very decent views of the surrounding range and valleys. However, lots of brush, bushes and trees have grow heavily in the summit area so it does not offer much of a view. What you can see is still beaufitul.

Getting There

In order to get to this peak then first drive to Kelly Canyon Sky resort. When driving down Kelly Canyon Rd, you will eventually drive onto a dirt road about a couple hundred yards after passing the main ski lodge. Continue down this dirt road (FS-218).After driving for about a mile, you will see a parking lot. Continue passed this, sticking to the left and continuing down FS-218. You will continue for another several miles down FS-218. Stick to this main road, do not turn at any point. Eventuall you will get to a place called cold springs. This area offers some decent parking areas for you to stop. 

Route

From the Cold Springs area, You will back track on foot about 50 yards to the road FS-885. This road has an opened gate that is heavily traveled with ATV and other motorsport vehicles. Continue hiking up this road. The road will eventually fork, continue left. You will get to a point where the road takes a hard left. A clearing where an unmaintained trail can be followed for the rest of the hike towards the summit.

Distance: Roughly 2.1 Miles Round Trip

Red Tape

No fees of any kind to access this area other than for some campsites in designated camp locations.

When to Climb

This can be climbed year round. The summit is in no way dangerous from the direction we came in. I would recommend spring-fall since it would be a lot easier to get back into this area.

Camping

A lot of camping options in this area for tent and RVs. A lot of free sites are avaiable, it is first come first serve. The nicer areas that are designated most likely will ahve a fee since this is a heavily traveled area.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Big Hole MountainsMountains & Rocks