Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.60771°N / 111.44969°W
Additional Information County: Bonneville
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7041 ft / 2146 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wheaton Mountain sits west on the edge of the Big Hole Range. Southeast from Kelly Mountain and west from Black Mountain. The peak itself is not one many seek after to accomplish. Its shorter than its neighboring mountains and one of the shortest (if not the shortest) named peaks in the range. The mountain is a class 2 hike. The views are not the best other than to the west. You will be able to see the wide-open farmland and hills for miles. Very beautiful. The other views around it are blocked out by the other neighboring peaks that sit much higher than Wheaton. The views of those peaks are helpful to pinpoint the geographical parts of that area.

Getting There

From Idaho Falls, head towards kelly canyon ski resort. You can simply put this in google maps or some other navigating device. Shortly before heading towards the resort, you take a right on E Heise Road (FS 206). It turns into a well-groomed dirt road for the remainder of the trip. Follow this for several miles. You can eventually take a left and park somewhere along FS 210 but we followed 206 and simply just found a place that we could pull off the road and park. Then started up the ridge. The road is definitely suitable for car driving. Just anything with 4wd would definitely be preferred. It is still a little rugged.

Route

The route is very straightforward. Not sure how many approaches you can make on this hike. Probable several, so if you do it from another point then feel free to add it to this page. Head up the west ridge. Be sure not to follow the ridge to the right of the mountain otherwise you will be taken far from the summit. We found a trail on the ridge next to it that broke off and led us to the base. You can follow it as we did but it is not necessary. You simply just hike up until you hit the summit. Several false summits are along the way. Just keep pushing through and you'll be to the top in no time.

Distance: My hiking tracker got messed up so its roughly 3-4 miles round trip

Red Tape

No red tape known, just be sure to follow the fire restriction laws that are put out throughout the summer to avoid fines.

When to Climb

This can be climb pretty much anytime. During the winter would be a lot harder since brush is found throughout the way up. But later spring, summer, and early fall would be the most ideal time to do it.

Camping

No camping is found in this summit area but camping along the road can be found and campsites are throughout the entire range.

External Links

Got the main picture from this link (forgot to take on myself)

https://www.listsofjohn.com/peak/36813

 

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Big Hole MountainsMountains & Rocks