Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.12700°N / 20.12000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7933 ft / 2418 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Page is still constructed!

Kolový Štit looks like a big pyramid, situated opposite to Tatra’s “gigants”. For that reason a view from a top is excellent and very extensive: Gierlachovský Štit, L’adový Štit, Baranié Rohy, Pyšný Štit, Lomnický Štit, Kežmarský Štit… The whole east part of High Tatra in front of you.

No marked routs lead on the summit, but Kolový Štit is reachable for “normal” tourists. For climbers the east wall could be interesting, but it is situated in preserve – prohibited area.


Kolovy Stit from Vidlove Sedlo


The summit of Kolový Štit is situated in the main chain of Tatra Mounatins. It ascends over Čierna Javorová (Czarna Jaworowa) Valley (south-west), Kolová (Kołowa) Valley (north) and Malá Zmrzlá (Jastrzębia) Valley (east). To the north-east Kolový Štit is connected with Jahňaci Štit (Jagnięcy Szczyt) (through Kolové Sedlo / Kołowa Przełęcz), the sout ridge connects with Čierny Štit (Czarny Szczyt) (through Čierné Sedlo / Czarna Przełęcz). To the west Kolový Štit forwards long ridge - Hrebeň Sviniek / Bździochowa Grań dividing Čierna Javorová Valley from Kolová Valley.


Configuration of ridges in Kolovy Stit' area


The Slovak and Polish name of this summit means “Circular Peak” and comes from Kolová Valley and this one from Kolové Pleso / Kołowy Staw (“Circular Lake”) which was really in old-time circular, but in the course of years became more kidney-like.


First ascend



Kolový Štit massif were visited by hunters and treasure-prospectors already in XVIII century. Maybe they reach the summit, but there are no clear data about this event.
Stanisław Staszic - prominent Polish geographer, with guides from Jurgów were the first tourists - they reach the summit in 1804 year by Čierné Sedlo.
First winter ascend: Gyula Hefty and Istvan Laufer in 1912.


Summit view


A view from Kolový Štit is really excellent and extensive. I hope these a few photos encourage you to visit this summit. Of course by a very good weather.

Getting There



From Slovakian side:

The major city in this area is Poprad, where you can get by bus or train. From Poprad there is a lot of buses and trains to Starý Smokovec (13km) at the foot of Tatra:
train time table
bus time table
train time table from Poprad to Starý Smokovec Tatranská elektrická železnica

Maps of Starý Smokovec and Tatranská Lomnica

From Polish side:

The best point to stars the journey is Zakopane – the biggest town on Polish side of Tatra Mountains.
Take a bus to Polana Palenica (time table of PKS, in high season there are a lot of private buses, too – a station is opposite to PKS) and get off in Lysá Pol’ana / Łysa Polana. Cross the polish-slovakian border . Bus station on Slovakian side is about 100m after border crossing point on the right. Take bus to Poprad, which goes through Tatranská Javorina (3km from border), Tatranská Kotlina,Tatranská Lomnica and Starý Smokovec (time table).

In mountain:

Approach to Chata Plesnivec:
Take a bus from Starý Smokovec to Lysá Pol’ana (or from Lysa Pol’ana to Poprad) and get off in Tatranská Kotlina. If you have time you can visit here very interesting ice cave “Belianská Jaskyňa”. From Tatranská Kotlina take a green marked trail leading to Biele Pleso through Chata Plesnivec (about 2 h 15 min).

Approach to Chata pri Zelenom Plese:
Take a bus from Starý Smokovec to Lysa Pol’ana (or from Lysa Pol’ana to Poprad) and get off in Belá Voda. There is only a little parking-place among a forest and beginning of yellow marked trail, leading to Chata pri Zelenom Plese (about 2 h 45 min).


When To Climb


The best time is a summer and early autumn (july-september).

Maps




Map of Kolovy Stit’ area

Tatry Wysokie, in scale 1:25 000, description in 6 languages, ISBN 83-87873-26-8, available in all shops in Zakopane. Here you can look at net version.
A high quality maps in scales 1:25 000 and 1:50 000 are produced VKU Harmanec, too. They are available at all chalets and shops in cities under Vysoke Tatry.


Red Tape



The “High Tatra” is a National park, UN Bioheritage area and a European BioHeritage - if you are not a member of any climbing club you can move only on marked trails - so you can visit Kolový Štit only with tatra guide.

In winter time (from November the 1st – June the 15th) The Tatra Mountains in slovakian part are closed for normal tourists.

For more informations look at High Tatra/Vysoke Tatry GROUP page.
For climbing regulations look at
Gerlachovsky Stit page.


Accommodation



There are two chalets near by Kolový Štit:

1. Chata pri Zelenom Plese (“Brincalka”) situated in Bielej Vody Kezmarskej (Kiezmarska) Valley on the eastern bank of the Green Mountain-Lake („Zelene Pleso”). Chalet is opened all the year for hiking, climbing and ski mountaineering.
Access from:
· Tatranske Matliare, blue marked path (3 h 30 min)
· Bela Voda, yellow marked trail (2 h 45 min)
· Skalnate Pleso, red marked trail (2 h 15 min)
· Tatranska Kotlina through Chata Plesnivec, green/red trail (3 h 30 min)
· Tatranska Javorina through Kopske Sedlo, blue/red marked trail (4 h)
Contact:
Telephone: ++421-52-4467420
mobile: ++421-903-467420
Email: jgantner@stonline.sk

2. Chata Plesnivec situated in Siedmich Pramenov Valley on the southeastern slope of the Bujačí Vrch. in Bielanske Tatry. Chalet is opened all the year for hiking, climbing and ski mountaineering.
Access from:
· Tatranska Kotlina, green marked path (2 h 15 min)
· Chata pri Zelenom Plese, red/green marked trail (2 h)
· Tatranska Javorina , blue/green marked trail (4 h 30 min)
Contact:
mobile: ++421-905-256722

Absolutely no camping is permitted in the nature park. The nearest camping is in Stara Lesna and Tatranska Lomnica.

There are plenty of cheap hotels and pensions in the area of Stary Smokovec and Tatranska Javorina.
accomodation


Mountain Conditions



Web forecast:
situation at this moment and forecast

Information of avalanche danger:
TOPR (in English) and HZS

Rescue:
On Slovakian side acts HZS (Horska Zachranna Sluzba)
Starý Smokovec 23, 059 60 Vysoké Tatry
phon.: 052/4422820, fax: 052/4422855,
mobil: 0903624869




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.