High Tatras / Vysoké Tatry

High Tatras / Vysoké Tatry

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 49.07000°N / 20.03000°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8710 ft / 2655 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vysoké Tatry - Tatry Wysokie - Hohe Tatra - Magas-Tátra

High TatrasThe High Tatras viewn from the Low Tatras, September 2007photo: Martin Tinak


The High Tatras (Slovak: Vysoké Tatry, Polish Tatry Wysokie, German Hohe Tatra, Hungarian Magas-Tátra) is the smallest big mountain range in Europe. They are situated on the border between Slovakia and Poland, although majority of the peaks and valleys lie in Slovakia. Vysoké Tatry are located between latitudes 49-49.20, and longitudes 19.55-20.25. Main ridge starts on the west by pass Ľaliové sedlo (1952 m) and ends up on the east by pass Kopské sedlo (1756 m).

Vysoké Tatry continue on the west with Západné Tatry (Liptovské hole, Rohace), whereas on the east with Belianské Tatry, whose main ridge is almost perpendicular to the main ridge of Vysoké Tatry. Direction of the main ridge is south-east from pass Ľaliové sedlo, approximately in the middle there is a turn to north-east. Length of the main ridge of Vysoké Tatry is about 26 km and width about 17 km. The whole area is about 260 square kilometers.

 Ladovy Stit(2628) from...Snowy peaksphoto: Tomek Lodowy
Real skyscrapersMysty peaksphoto: peterbud
Access to mountain hotel...Trail in the High Tatrasphoto: lenik


Vysoké Tatry was formed by diluvial glaciers and consists of granite, gneiss, and crystalline shale. There are not any glaciers today, just several all year long firn snow fields. The north walls are steeper in comparison with the south ones, however the higher peaks are on the south. There are about 300 peaks and spires in Vysoké Tatry and only several of them is accessible by marked tourist paths (see Allowed Peaks section).

Out of the main ridge lead a lot of extra ridges forming valleys, on step terraces many mountain lakes (tarns) can be found. The three biggest are located on the Polish side: Wielki Staw (in Dolina Pięciu Stawów Polskich - Five Polish Lakes Valley), Morskie Oko and Czarny Staw (in Dolina Rybiego Potoku - Fish Creek Valley), with an area of 34.4 ha, 34 ha and 20.5 ha, respectively. Wielki Staw is also the deepest of all: 79 m. The biggest and deepest tarn on the Slovakian side is Veľké Hincovo pleso: 18.19 ha and 53.7 m. The highest located tarn is Modré pleso (2180 m, in Malá Studená dolina, above chalet Téryho chata), followed by Vyšné Wahlenbergovo pleso (2154 m, in Furkotská dolina). SP album about High Tatra Tarns.

Take a look on the Slovakian side...Veľké Hincovo plesophoto: stjepan
Krivanske green lake (2013 m)Kriváňské zelené plesophoto: Tomas Kristofory
Saying goodbye to the Polish Five LakesPolish Five Lakesphoto: peterbud

 

Getting There

With help from SP members dynercia and peterbud

By air
 

 Elektricka
električka - by KRZYS
Roads around Tatra Group....
roads sketch - by dynercia

The main international airports in the broader area are: Bratislava (SK), Wien/Vienna (AT), Budapest (HU) and Praha/Prague (CZ). There are two further airports much closer, although with less connections: Poprad (SK) and Kraków/Cracow (PL).
From the airports you shall take train, bus or car to get further.

By train and bus

Slovak side: There are direct trains and buses to Poprad from all major cities of Slovakia (direct trains are also available from Budapest and Prague). Up-to-date international train search can be easily done on the DB website. From Poprad you can get to all major southern entry points (Tatranská Lomnica, Starý Smokovec, Tatranská Polianka, Štrbské pleso, Podbanské) by rail or bus. If coming by train, it is also possible to get off at the station of Štrba, which is connected with Štrbské pleso by a cog railway. The Tatra electric railway (Tatranská elektrická železnica), a separate system from the national railway that connects Poprad with Štrbské pleso through Starý Smokovec and Tatranská Polianka, is an obvious choice of public transportation along the southern side of the mountains.

Polish side: From Cracow, you shall get to Zakopane. There are a lot of buses, operated by PKS (time table) and also private companies: Frey (time table) and Szwagropol (time table). By train the road is much longer and expensive (train search: Polish Railways or DB website).

By car

The most convenient way to plan your trip is to use a route planner like ViaMichelin or similar. There are parking opportunities on both the Slovak and the Polish side (fees will be charged). Slovak motorways are toll roads (vignettes can be bought at border crossings and petrol stations), however the ordinary highways (toll-free) are pretty good and the traffic is usually far from unbearable.

Scaleable map of Slovakia.

Red Tape


Slovakia

Source: Information for visitors of TANAP

Members of any of UIAA member can climb, ski, etc. in specified areas, see below. Non-UIAA members are permitted to use ONLY MARKED TOURIST TRAILS or to be accompanied by TATRA' MOUNTAIN GUIDE.

 
Summit ridge of  Mieguszowiecki Szczyt Posredni
On the summit ridge of Mieguszowiecki Szczyt Posredni
photo: brade
 
Near the summit of Maly Ladovy stit
Skier just near the summit of Maly Ľadový štít (on the left is the second highest High Tatra peak - Lomnický štít)
photo: palic
 
Martin s Route
Climbing Gerlachovský štít (the High Tatras' highest peak) via Martin's route
photo: brade


The National Park is the heritage of all mankind. Mount Kriváň (2495 m) is the national symbol of the Slovak people. Since 1993 the mountain range Tatras, together with the Polish part of the National Park, has been identified as natural, biospheric, reserve of UNESCO. Whilst enjoying your visit in the National Park, please help us to protect its natural beauty. Information notice boards about the National Park serve you, the visitor - please do not damage them.

1. In order to enjoy your visit please use marked hiking tracks, footpaths and cycling tracks as well as Tourist Information Centres.
Cycling tracks
2. Picked flowers will wither, captive butterflies will die, chicks of an eagle could fall from their nest if disturbed. Therefore touch the nature by your heart only.
3. In order to protect the nature and to ensure your safety, hiking tracks in the mountains are not accessible to public between 1 November and 15 June.
Closure of hiking paths
4. Enjoy your hiking in the daytime, between an hour after sunrise and hour before sunset.
5. Hiking away from marked tracks, under the supervision of experienced guides, is available between 16 June and 31 October.
Hiking away from the marked tracks
6. In order to protect endangered species of birds of prey, paragliding and using rogallo is permitted only in specifically designated areas.
Gliders and paragliders
7. It is not permitted to camp or bivouac anywhere in the National Park. It is prohibited to light fires anywhere in the National Park other than in designated sites in tourists villages.
8. If you are enjoying your stay in the National Park with your pet dog then the dog should always be on a lead and muzzled. In specifically designated nature reserves dogs are not permitted to enter at all.
9. Peacefulness of nature is there for you to enjoy. It should not be polluted either by lights effects or loud music, or any other noises.
10. The National Park provides also for winter sports such as alpine and cross-country skiing on designated slopes and tracks as well as mountain and rock climbing, and ski-alpinism in purposely built facilities where picnic areas are set aside for an open fire barbecues.
Alpine skiing
Cross country skiing
Ski-alpinism
Climbing and rock-climbing
11. Please do not pollute the environment. Take your rubbish home with you. To avoid fires please refrain from smoking during dry periods.
12. Protect the underground beauty of the nature. Do not try to enter inaccessible caves and gullies.


It is IMPORTANT to note that some areas are closed even to UIAA members:




Map of closed areas (encircled by purple dashed lines) linked from this external source (SVTS - Slovak mountaineering club).



Please also note that despite both Slovakia and Poland have joined the Schengen zone in December 2007, regulations have not changed in the High Tatras. The only point where border-crossing is legal in the nature conservation area is through the peak of Rysy.

Other climbing regulations are at SP page for Gerlachovský stít


Poland

Climbing is permitted only in two regions: the Orla Perć ridge, and around Morskie Oko - see this map.

Peaks of High Tatras

Table with the highest peaks adapted by peterbud

High TatrasThe High Tatras viewn from Štrba - photo: gorzi


The following table presents the highest peaks of the range. Polish, German and Hungarian toponimes are listed in italic below the official Slovak names. The geographical names of Tatra Mountains is actually very complicated (and sometimes chaotic) - not just because there are names in four languages, but also because often there are (were) different variants within one or more of the languages. Tatra toponimes have a long and intricate history. Several times an expression of one language got used in an ill-traslated form in the other language. Occasionally, names were mistakenly recorded or mixed up in some of the basic publications. And last, but not least, a handful of peaks were attempted to be renamed for different reasons (honour, politics). All this created considerable confusion (partly present on SP as well). A very good and extensive online Tatra-toponimes dictionary is available for speakers of Slovak, Polish, German and Hungarian to ease the situation.

Rank Photo Name of the peak
(slo-pol-ger-hun)
Height First ascent
1.
Gerlachovsky Stit
Gerlachovský štít
Gierlach
Gerlsdorfer Spitze
Gerlachfalvi-csúcs
2655 m Reportedly in 1834 J. Still, J. Gellhof and M. Spitzkopf.
Probably in 6th decade of 19th century by M. Urban.
First ladies - P. Knerr and J. Fillunger (July 28, 1877)
In 1896 the peak was renamed after Franz Joseph Austrian emperor until WW-I.
Between 1949-1956 it was named after J.V. Stalin.
2.
Zadni Gierlach, Tetmajer...
Zadný Gerlachovský štít
Zadni Gierlach
Hintere Gerlsdorfer Spitze
Hátsó-Gerlachfalvi-csúcs
2638 m J. Stolarczyk, with guides from Zakopane (around 1870)
3.
Lomnicky Stit from Tatranska Matliar
Lomnický štít
Łomnica
Lomnitzer Spitze
Lomnici-csúcs
2634 m Robert Townson (August 7, 1793)
For long time this peak was thought to be the highest of the High Tatras.
4.
 Ladovy Stit(2628) - North...
Ľadový štít
Lodowy Szczyt
Eistaler Spitze
Jég-völgyi-csúcs
2627 m summer - J. Ball and W. Richter with hunters (August 31, 1843)
winter - T. Wundt and J. Horvay (December 28, 1891)
(probably already in the 18th century by hunters)
5.
Pysny Stit from Lomnica - High Tatras
Pyšný štít
Durny Szczyt
Schwalbenturm
Fecske-torony
2621 m summer - Ö. Téry, M. Spitzkopf (August 8, 1877)
winter - E. Hruby, O. Jordán, R. Komarnicki and J. Serényi (1910)
6.
Maly Ladovy Stit - High Tatras
Malý Ľadový štít
Lodowa Kopa
Markasitturm
Markazit-torony
2603 m J. H. Blasius, G. Hartlaub and A. Keyserling with hunters (September 22, 1835)
7.   Malý Pyšný štít
Mały Durny Szczyt
Téry-Spitze
Téry-csúcs
2592 m Gy. Dőri (July 17, 1901)
8.
Kezmarsky Stit - High Tatras
Kežmarský štít
Kieżmarski Szczyt
Kesmarker Spitze
Késmárki-csúcs
2556 m first thoroughly documented - E. Wołoszczak (August 9, 1858)
before that probably by D. Fröhlich (June, 1615) and D. Speer (1654)
(Fröhlich reports the peak has been climbed even before him)
winter - G. O. Dyhrenfurth and A. Martin (1906)
9.
The Lady of Tatras - Vysoka (2560 m)
Vysoká
Wysoka
Hochberg
Tátra-csúcs
2547 m M. Déchy, J. Ruman and U. M. Spitzkorf (September 3, 1874)
10.
Koncista
Končistá
Kończysta
Hochkammspitze
Koncsiszta
2538 m A. Münnich and his fellows (around 1874)
11.
Baranie Rohy(2526)
Baranie rohy
Baranie Rogi
Grünseespitze
Zöld-tavi-csúcs
2526 m summer - J. Stolarczyk and A. Trausyl with four guides (September 17, 1867)
winter - T. Kregczy, L. Rokfalusy and Z. Votisky (1911)
12.
From Zlomiska Zatoka
Draci štít
Smoczy Szczyt
Déchy-Spitze
Déchy-csúcs
2523 m A. Martin and J. Breuer (August 13, 1905)
13.
Vidlovy Hreben between...
Veľká Vidlová veža
Widły
Grosse Gabelspitze
Nagy-Villa-csúcs
2522 m M. Szontagh junior and J. Hunsdorfer (August, 1903)
14.
Mały Kieżmarski Szczyt - Maly Kezmarsky Stit - 2514m
Malý Kežmarský štít
Mały Kieżmarski Szczyt
Weber-spitze
Wéber-csúcs
2514 m summer - A. Gábriel, F. Koromzay, Gy. Koromzay, A. Nikázy and S. Wéber (August 21, 1889)
winter - G. O. Dyhrenfurth and A. Martin (March 8, 1906)
(earlier probably together with Kežmarský štít in June, 1617)
15.   Zadný Ľadový štít
Lodowy Zwornik
Eistaler Schulter
Jég-völgyi-váll
2507 m K. Englisch with guide J. Hunsdorfer senior (July 16 or 17, 1902)
(probably earlier by mapping surveyors)
16.
Rysy (right) and Nizne Rysy...
Rysy
Rysy
Meeraugspitze
Tengerszem-csúcs
2503 m summer - E. Blasy and J. Ruman (August 20, 1840)
winter - T. Wundt and J. Horvay (April 10, 1884)
17.
Real skyscrapers
Ťažký štít (Český štít)
Ciężki Szczyt
Martin Roth-Spitze
Róth Márton-csúcs
2500 m E. Dubke and J. Francz (July 7, 1904)
18.
Kriváň from SW
Kriváň
Krywań
Ochsenhorn/Krummhorn
Kriván
2495 m first known - J. A. Czirbesz (August 8, 1773)
(probably earlier by miners - gold mines were in the upper region between the 15th-18th cent.)
...
XX.
Slavkovsky Stit - High Tatras
Slavkovský štít
Sławkowski Szczyt
Schlagendorfer Spitze
Nagyszalóki-csúcs
2453 m G. Buchholtz senior and others (July 16, 1664)
High Tatras' peaks from the Low Tatras - photo and text: Gorzi

 

SP pages image map

Prepared by peterbud

The following image map gives an overview of the High Tatras and its current SP pages, except the newest additions:

- Soliskový hrb
- Divá veža
- Popradský Ľadový štít
- Veľka Svišťovka
- Opalony Wierch
- Belianska Kopa
- Miedziane
- Żabi Szczyt Wyżni
- Żabi Koń

Murowaniec hut (Schronisko Murowaniec, 1500) Five Polish Lakes Valley hut (Schronisko w Dolinie Pieciu Stawów Polskich, 1670) Morskie Oko hut (Schronisko przy Morskim Oku, 1410) Solisko hut (Chata pod Soliskom, 1840) Poprad Lake inn (Chata pri Popradsom plese, 1500) Rysy hut (Chata pod Rysmi, 2250) Silesian mountain hotel (horský hotel Sliezky dom, 1670) Zbojnícka hut (Zbojnícka chata, 1960) Téry hut (Téryho chata, 2015) Green Lake hut (Chata pri Zelenom plese, 1551) Skalnatá hut (Skalnatá chata, 1750) Zamkovsky hut (Zamkovského chata, 1475) Bilík hut (Bilíkova chata, 1255) Wielka Koszysta (2193) Żółta Turnia (2087) Woloszyn (2155) Buczynowe Turnie (2182) Orla Baszta (2175) Granaty (2240) Czarne Ściany (2242) Kozi Wierch (2291) Zamarla Turnia (2179) Kościelec (2155) Świnica / Svinica (2301) Gladki Wierch / Hladky štít (2063) Veľká kopa (2052) Szpiglasowy Wierch / Hrubý štít (2172) Mnich (2069) Zadni Mnich (2172) Cubryna / Čubrina (2378) Kôprovský štít (2363) Mieguszowiecki Szczyt Wielki / Veľký Mengusovský štít (2432) Mieguszowiecki Szczyt Posredni / Prostredný Mengusovský štít (2393) Mieguszowiecki Szczyt Czarny / Východný Mengusovský štít (2404) Kazalnica (2159) Kriváň (2495) Ostrá veža (2129) Sedielková kopa (2061) Hrubý vrch (2428) Furkotský štít (2403) Veľké Solisko (2413) Predné Solisko (2093) Štrbský štít (2382) Satan (2422) Mlynár (2170) Kopa Spadowa (2252) Niznie Rysy / Malé Rysy (2430) Rysy (2503) Ťažký (Český) štít (2500) Vysoká (2547) Draci štít (2523) Osarpance (2364) Gánok (2462) Rumanov štít (2428) Zlobivá (2426) Ostrva (1984) Tupá (2285) Končistá (2538) Batizovský štít (2448) Gerlachovský štít (2655) Zadný Gerlachovský štít (2638) Litvorový štít (2413) Velický štít (2319) Velické Granáty (2420) Slavkovský štít (2453) Bradavica (2476) Výhodná Vysoká (2429) Svišťový štít (2383) Hrubá veža (2086) Široká (2210) Javorový štít (2418) Ostrý štít (2367) Prostredný hrot (2441) Široká veža (2462) Ľadový štít (2627) Kežmarský štít (2556) Huncovský štít (2352) Lomnický štít (2634) Pišný štít (2621) Baranie rohy (2526) Čierny štít (2429) Kolový štít (2418) Jahňací štít (2230)
Move the mouse over the yellow triangles (peaks) and orange dots (huts) to see their names.
Click the peaks to open their SP page in a new window.

Names of peaks appear according to which country they belong to (on the border: Polish / Slovak).
Underlay image is a vintage tourist map from 1910.



Allowed peaks

Prepared by peterbud

East view from KriváňView from Kriváň to the rest of the High Tatras' peaks - photo: peterbud


For non-UIAA members, only the peaks listed below are allowed to be climbed without permission (on marked tourist routes):

  • from the Slovak side (only in the summer period, from 15/Jun until 1/Nov):
Name (slo) Height Name (pol-ger-hun)
Kriváň 2495 m Krywań, Krivan, Kriván
Predné Solisko 2093 m Skrajne Solisko, Vorderer Salzberg, Elülső-Szoliszkó-kúp/Mellső Sóhegy
Kôprovsky štít 2363 m Koprowy Wierch, Koprovaspitze, Kapor-csúcs
Rysy 2503 m Rysy, Meeraugspitze, Tengerszem-csúcs
Východná Vysoká 2428 m Mała Wysoka, Kleine Visoka, Kis-Viszoka
Slavkovský štít 2452 m Sławkowski Szczyt, Schlagendorfer Spitze, Nagyszalóki-csúcs
Veľká Svišťovka 2037 m Rakuska Czuba, Grosser Ratzenberg, Nagy-Morgás
Jahňačí štít 2229 m Jagnięcy Szczyt, Weisseespitze, Fehér-tavi-csúcs

 

  • from the Polish side (throughout the year):
Name (pol) Height Name (slo-ger-hun)
Kozi Wierch 2291 m Kozi Vrch, - , Zerge-hegy
Świnica 2428 m Svinica, Seealmspitze, Svinica
Szpiglasowy Wierch 2172 m Hrubý štít, Liptauer Grenzberg, Liptói-határhegy
Rysy 2503 m Rysy, Meeraugspitze, Tengerszem-csúcs

When To Climb


Hiking and climbing in Vysoké Tatry is available all over year, but there are several regulations - see the Red Tape section.

Morning east view from RysyMorning east view from Rysy in August - photo: peterbud

Accommodation

Compiled with help from SP members dynercia and peterbud

Camping


On the Slovak side camping is not permitted in the area of National Park Vysoké Tatry. Public camp is only in Tatranská Lomnica, otherwise you must sleep at Mountain Chalets or Hotels. In the touristic season the High Tatras get quite crowded, so it is highly advisable to book beds in advance.

On the Polish side there is a camping in Zakopane. If you are a member of any climbing club you can camp in 3 places in mountain, too:

  • horolezecke taborisko in Bielovodská (Białej Wody) Valley (by blue marked route) - ordering in advance
  • obozowisko taternickie PZA “Szalasiska” in Rybiego Potoku Valley (not far from Morskie Oko)
  • obozowisko taternickie PZA in Suchej Wody Valley (by black marked route)

 

Mountain chalets - Slovakia


Chata pod Rysmi (2250 m)

Chata pod Rysmi is the highest located chalet in Vysoké Tatry, opened only during the summer season from May till October, as a result of a series of huge avalanches that fell down from the wall of Ťažký štít (Český štít) and destroyed chalet several times since 2000. Chalet was opened for winter climbing and ski-alpinism from the end of January till the end of March up to year 1999. It is located bellow the pass Váha under Rysy (2503 m). The stone one floor chalet was built in 1932. The second floor was added in 1977 and was got off to the valley by the first huge avalanche in January 2000. The chalet has been rebuilt temporarily after the incident, but major reconstruction did not start until 2010. The process will last over 2011 as well, until then the hut does not offer accommodation, only food and drink service. The toilet is located outside the hut - it takes about 1 minute walk to get there (the view compensates for the effort).

Access from:
1. Chata pri Popradskom plese - red/blue marked trail, 2 h 20 min
2. Schronisko przy Morskim Oku - red marked trail, crossing the Polish-Slovak border (since both countries joined the Schengen zone in Dec/2007, this is just a formality now), 5 h

Contact:
Chata pod Rysmi, Štrbské Pleso, 059 85, Slovakia
Telephone: +421/(0)52/4422314
Looking down to Chata pod Rysmi...Chata pod Rysmiphoto: peterbud



Chata pri Zelenom plese (Brncalova chata) (1551 m)

Chata pri Zelenom plese is situated on the eastern bank of the Zelené pleso (Green Tarn). The first small cottage, Egidova /Egyed/ Chalet (named after Egyed Berzeviczy, contemporary president of the Hungarian Carpath Association), arose in Rakúska poľana in 1876. The former Friedrich's Cottage (named after Friedrich archduke) on the northern bank was opened in 1897. After renovation in 1924 the current design was gained. The chalet was called Brncalova chata after 1950 to commemorate the name of Albert Brncal (1919-1950), the professor of physical education and at the same time a member of Tatra's Mountain-climbers Committee (IAMES), who tragically died under pass Jastrabie sedlo in valley Malá Zmrzlá Dolina as a climbing instructor. Nowadays, both names are used, although officially in maps the first one can be found. Open all year around.

Access from:
1. Tatranské Matliare - yellow/blue marked path, 3 h 30 min
2. Skalnate pleso - red marked trail, 2 h 45 min

Contact:
Telephone: +421(0)911-552-419 /booking/, +421(0)901-767-420 /information/
E-mail: tatry(at)chataprizelenomplese.sk
Chata pri Zelenom pleseChata pri Zelenom plesephoto: radovan01



Téryho chata (2015 m)

Téryho chata is situated in the Malá Studená dolina by the Päť Spišských plies (Five Spiš Tarns). The chalet was opened on the 21st of August, 1899. Since the beginning it has been named after Ödön Téry (1856-1917), one of the most remarkable pioneers of Hungarian alpinism and hiking, first ascender of Prostredný hrot, Pyšný štít, Posledná/Jordánova veža and Lomnická vežička. Open all year long for hiking, climbing and ski mountaineering.

Access from:
1. Zamkovského chata - green marked trail, 2 hours
2. Skalnate pleso - red marked trail, 2 h 50 min
3. Hrebienok - red/green marked trails, approx. 3 h
4. Zbojnícka chata, via Veľká Studená dolina and pass Priečne sedlo - yellow marked trail - PROHIBITED direction - 3 h
5. Tatranská Javorina - via Javorová dolina and pass Sedielko, green marked trail, 6 h

Contact:
Téryho chata, 062 01 Starý Smokovec, Slovakia
Telephone: +421/(0)52/4425245; +421/(0)905/893233
E-mail: teryhochata(at)gmail.com
Terycho-chata = Téry-ház = Refuge Téry(2015m)Téryho chataphoto: julesblaidd



Zbojnícka chata (1960 m)

Zbojnícka chata is located in Veľká Studená dolina (the first shelter was built here 100 years ago). Chalet is opened all the year for hiking, climbing and ski mountaineering. Marked turist path to Východná Vysoká (2428 m). Map of Veľká Studená dolina with Zbojnícka chata.

Access from:
1. Hrebienok, via the classic route - red/blue marked trail
2. Téryho chata, via Malá Studená dolina, over pass Priečne sedlo - yellow marked trail, 3 h.
3. Sliezsky dom, via Velická dolina, over pass Poľský hrebeň and pass Prielom - blue/green marked trail, 3 h 45 min.
4. Lysá Poľana, via Bielovodská dolina - blue marked trail, 6 h 15 min.

Contact:
Zbojnícka chata, 062 01 Starý Smokovec, Vysoké Tatry, Slovakia
Telephone: +421/(0)903/638000 (preferred), +421/(0)903/619000 (if the previous doesn't work)
E-mail: info(at)zbojnickachata.sk
The neighborhood of Zbojnícka hutZbojnícka chataphoto: peterbud



Chata pod Soliskom (1840 m)

Chata pod Soliskom is located on the southern end of the Solisko ridge, at the head of the Solisko ski run. The first hut was built in 1944, it was rebuilt in 2003. Open all year around, accommodation costs 300 SKK per night (2007).

Access from:
Štrbské pleso, along the ski lift - blue marked trail, 1 h 30 min

Contact:
Telephone: +421/(0)905/652036, +421/(0)907/949442
E-mail: info(at)chatasolisko.sk
Sedielkova kopa from chalet under SoliskoChata pod Soliskomphoto: Tomáš Krištofóry

 

Mountain hotels - Slovakia


Chata pri Popradskom plese (1494 m)

The first shelter by the Poprad Lake was built in 1871, which repeatedly burned down and reconstructed several times. Today's mountain hotel Chata pri Popradskom plese is situated in the picturesque surroundings of Mengusovská Valley on the bank of mountain lake Popradské Pleso. A memorial of victims of the High Tatras mountains Symbolický cintorín is located on the other side of the lake.

Access from:
1. Štrbské pleso, via the Tatranská Magistrála trail - red marked trail, about 1 h
2. Hotel Sliezsky dom, via the Tatranská Magistrála trail - red marked trail, 3 h 30 min

Contact:
Horský hotel Popradské Pleso, P.O.Box 12, 059 85 Štrbské Pleso, Slovakia
Telephone: +421/(0)908/761403, +421/(0)910/948160
E-mail: recepcia(at)popradskepleso.sk
The mountain hotel at Popradské plesoChata pri Popradskom plesephoto: peterbud



Hotel Sliezsky dom (1680 m)

Hotel Sliezsky dom is situated at the threshold of the valley Velická dolina, on the bank of mountain lake Velické pleso. The first stone chalet was on the eastern end of the lake (1871). A snow avalanche destroyed it in march 1874. Four years later another small wooden shelter was built on the southeastern bank of the lake. This was rebuilt several times (especially between the years 1957 - 1960), but it completely burned down in 1962. Since 1968 at the same place, there is a modern mountain hotel with the same name.

Access from:
1. Tatranská Polianka - green marked trail, 2 h
2. Chata pri Popradskom plese - red marked trail, 3 h 30 min
3. Štrbské pleso - red marked trail, 4 h 45 min
4. Starý Smokovec - yellow marked trail, 2 h 25 min
5. Zbojnícka chata, via passes Prielom and Poľský hrebeň - blue marked trail, 3 h 45 min

Contact:
Sliezsky dom, 059 82 Tatranská Polianka, Slovakia
Telephone: +421-52-4425261
E-mail: mail(at)sliezskydom.sk
At the Morskie Oko chalet -...Morskie Oko Chaletphoto: Tomek Lodowy




Mountain chalets - Poland


Schronisko przy Morskim Oku (1410 m)

Schronisko przy Morskim Oku is situated in the Rybiego Potoku Valley by the Morskie Oko (Sea’ Eye). Chalet is opened all the year for hiking, climbing and ski mountaineering. There are two options the new hut (rather mountain hotel) and the old hut (this is cheaper). Hot shower is available. In the new building there's a restaurant, in the old there's a kitchen where you can cook your own food.

Access from:
1. Polana Palenica przed Morskim Okiem - red marked trail, 3 h
(in high season there are a lot of buses from Zakopane to Palenica, but in low season you can only depend on PKS - time table)
2. Schronisko w Dolinie Pięciu Stawów Polskich (Hut in Five Polish Lakes Valley)
- blue marked trail (by Swistówka), 1 h 40 min
- blue/yellow marked trail (by Szpiglasowa pass), 2 h 45 min
3. Chata pod Rysmi - red marked trail, crossing the Polish-Slovak border (since both countries joined the Schengen zone in Dec/2007, this is just a formality now), 4 h

Contact:
Schronisko przy Morskim Oku, skr. poczt. 201, 34-500 Zakopane, Poland
Telephone: +48/18/2077609
Hut in the Five Polish Lakes ValleyFive Polish Lakes' Chaletphoto: peterbud



Schronisko w Dolinie Roztoki (1031 m)

Schronisko w Dolinie Roztoki is situated by mouth Roztoki Valley to Białej Wody (Bielovodská) Valley. Chalet is opened all the year for hiking, climbing and ski mountaineering, but in winter time it’s better to phone earlier.

Access from:
1. Polana Palenica przed Morskim Okiem – red/green marked trail, 1 h
(in high season there are a lot of buses from Zakopane to Palenica, but in low season you can only depend on PKS - time table)
2. Schronisko w Dolinie Pięciu Stawów Polskich (Hut in Five Polish Lakes Valley) - green marked trail, 2 h
3. Schronisko przy Morskim Oku - red marked trails, 1 h 30 min

Contact:
Schronisko w Dolinie Roztoki, skr. poczt. 200, 34-500 Zakopane, Poland
Telephone: +48/18/2077442
 



Schronisko w Dolinie Pięciu Stawów Polskich (1670 m)

Schronisko w Dolinie Pięciu Stawów Polskich (in the Five Polish Lakes Valley) is opened all the year for hiking, climbing and ski mountaineering. Rooms for 4-10 persons per room. Shower (cold) and toilet (standing) is inside the building. There's a busy kitchen with good food for reasonable prices, hot water is available from here. For cooking you own meal there's a separate tourist kitchen.

Access from:
1. Polana Palenica przed Morskim Okiem – red/green marked trail, 3 hours
(in high season there are a lot of buses from Zakopane to Palenica, but in low season you can only depend on PKS - time table)
2. from Gąsienicowa Valley – there are a lot of trails and variants (check on map)
3. Schronisko przy Morskim Oku:
- blue marked trail (by Swistówka), 1 h 40 min
- yellow/blue marked trail (by Szpiglasowa pass), 4 h

Contact:
Schronisko w Dolinie Pięciu Stawów Polskich, skr. poczt. 196, 34-500 Zakopane, Poland
Telephone: +48/18/2077607
Murowaniec Chalet at Hala...Murowaniec Chaletphoto: Tomek Lodowy



Schronisko Murowaniec (1500 m)

Schronisko Murowaniec is situated in Gąsienicowa Valley. Chalet is opened all the year for hiking, climbing and ski mountaineering, but in winter time it’s better to phone earlier and reserve place – it’s very popular ski area.

Access from:
1. Kuźnice (there are a lot of buses from Zakopane to Kuźnice)
- blue marked trail (by Boczań), 2 h
- yellow/blue marked trail (by Jaworzynka Valley), 2 h
2. Schronisko w Dolinie Pięciu Stawów Polskich (Hut in Five Polish Lakes Valley) - there are a lot of trails and variants (check on map)

Contact:
Schronisko Murowaniec, skr. poczt. 193, 34-500 Zakopane, Poland
Telephone: +48/18/2012633, +48/18/8016176
E-mail: murowaniec(at)e-tatry.pl
 
Signs of avalanche
Avalanche by Popradský hrebeň, February 2005.
photo: peterbud



Maps

Compiled by peterbud with help from jck and palic


    • Slovak: VKÚ Harmanec produces high quality maps in scales 1:25 000 and 1:50 000 that are available at all chalets and shops in cities under Vysoké Tatry (most of them are only with Slovakian description, although legends are also in English and German)



    • Polish #1: PPWK-Copernicus' Tatry Wysokie in scale 1:20 000 (ISBN 978-83-7329-992-44) - description in 4 languages



    • Polish #2: Sygnatura-Polkart's Tatry Wysokie in scale 1:25 000 (ISBN 83-87873-26-8) - description in 6 languages, available in all shops in Zakopane, also has an online version





    • Hungarian: Szarvas-Faragó's Magas Tátra in scale 1:30 000 (ISBN: 9789632148120) - Hungarian toponimes also presented besides the Slovak and Polish ones, hiking trails are classified according to difficulty









  • If you like vintage maps, several of those are accessible at this site, along with a dozen of panoramic maps

 

Mountain Rescue

 

Slovakia

On the Slovak side acts HZS:

Horská Záchranná Služba
Starý Smokovec 23, 059 60 Vysoké Tatry
tel.: 052/4422820, fax: 052/4422855, mobil: 0903624869
e-mail: vtatry(at)hzs.sk
www.hzs.sk


Poland

On the Polish side acts TOPR:

Tatrzanskie Ochotnicze Pogotowie Ratunkowe
adress: 34-500 Zakopane, ul.Pilsudskiego 63a
tel.: (+48)(18) 2014731 fax : (+48)(18) 2015560
e-mail: topr(at)topr.pl
www.topr.pl
rescue phone: (+48) 601-100-300


Avalanche danger


Avalanche forecast Slovakia



Avalanche forecast Poland (in English)
 
Kozia przełęcz
A frequent place of rescue actions: Orla Perć ferrata
photo: Gorzi
 
Helicopter of the mountain rescue service
Horská Služba rescue helicopter in action
photo: pbedo
 
Helicopter of the mountain rescue service
Horská Služba rescue helicopter in action
photo: pbedo



Weather


Actual weather

Online weather information from AccuWeather (idea borrowed from Nanuls):










Please note that these are data for villages at the feet of the mountains, they're good to get a general feeling of what's around. In the high regions the situation may be quite different.

Actual weather on the Slovak side (situation at this moment) from HZS website.


Web forecast



 

Publications

Compiled by peterbud with help from Tomáš Krištofóry and jck


The following list introduces some of the most important publications about the High Tatras (in chronological order), but it is far from complete. A more in-depth essay of the High Tatra's literature can be found here in Hungarian.


Books

 

Adam Piechowski: A Tátra főgerince (2007, Magyar Hegy- és Sportmászó Szövetség, Budapest) - guide book of the complete main ridge of the Western/High/Belian Tatras, in four volumes (this Hungarian edition is complete, in Polish only the first volume has been published)
Colin Saunders and Renáta Nározná: The High Tatras (2006, Cicerone Press - 2nd edition) - general guide book (available from Cicerone, Amazon and probably elsewhere as well)
Stanislav Samuhel: High Tatra - The finest valley and mountain walks (2001, Rother - 3rd Edition) - description of 55 hikes on 128 pages, with photos and maps (available from Rother)
László Scheirich: Emberek, sziklák, századok (2001, Nap Kiadó, Dunaszerdahely/Dunajská Streda) - monography about the Tatra's history, toponyms, mountain societies, famous guides, climbers and other notables (cover visible here)
Ákos Neidenbach: Tátrai legendárium (2000, Kornétás) - a collection of old legends and tales about the Tatra (cover and table of contents visible here)
Ivan Bohuš: Od A po Z o názvoch Vysokých Tatier (1996, Vydali Štátne lesy TANAP-u, Tatranská Lomnica) - a book (cover visible here) by the famous Tatra historian (the author published many other books about the High Tatras)
Witold Henryk Paryski: Wielka Encyklopedia Tatrzańska (1995, Wydawnictwo górskie - Poronin) - a 1500-page encyclopaedia about the Tatras (cover visible here)
Ivan Vološčuk (ed.) et al.: Tatranský národný park. Biosférická rezervácia. (1994, Gradus Martin press) - 552 pages about the Tatra National Park
Július Andráši and Witold H. Paryski: Vysoké Tatry - Výber horolezeckých výstupov (1974, Bratislava) - description of selected climbing routes (Hungarian translation is available online)
Alfréd Grósz (Alfred Groß): Die Hohe Tatra. Geschichte des Karpatenvereins (1961, Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Karpatendeutschen aus der Slowakei) - an old book (cover image visible here) from the great alpinist of the High Tatras, a.k.a. "the last Zipser" (biography in Hungarian)
Arno Puškáš: Vysoké Tatry (1957-1989) - a 10-volume monography by one of the best Slovakian climbers (the author wrote a number of further Tatra books)
František Kroutil: Vysoké Tatry pro horolezce (1956, Státní tìlovýchovné nakladatelství, Praha) - climbers' guide (available online, part I and part II, but also translated to German)
Witold Henryk Paryski: Tatry Wysokie (1951-1988) - the 25-volume climbing guide is perhaps the broadest opus about the High Tatras, describing 3941 routes, with historical information
Gyula Komarnicki: A Magas-Tátra hegymászó kalauza (1926) - climbing guide (online version) by a remarkable climber (biography in Hungarian) who accomplished a record number of first climbs in the High Tatras along with his brother (Román Komarnicki) - reprinted in 1978 and 1985 (online version) under the title A Magas-Tátra hegyvilága
János Vigyázó - Gyula Andor Hefty: A Magas-Tátra részletes kalauza (1914, reprinted in 1917 and 1931) - tourist and climbing guide in three parts. Vigyázó (originally Büttel, biography in Hungarian) was one of the founding fathers of UIAA, while Hefty (biography in Hungarian) was one of the most knowledgeable about Belianske Tatry at that time.

 

Periodicals

 

Tatry - quarterly magazine of the Polish Tatras National Park (TPN) - contents of the newest number
Tatry - magazine of the Slovak State Forests - more info here



External Links

Compiled by peterbud with help from Tomáš Krištofóry



Page History and Plans


Page History

  • Oct 1, 2010: update of mountain huts info by peterbud
  • Dec 9, 2009: picture additions by peterbud
  • Nov 6, 2009: Red Tape section amended by peterbud
  • Oct 6, 2009: Publications presented in table-format, plus an addition to the External Links section by peterbud
  • March 24, 2009: Peaks of High Tatras and SP pages image map sections updated by peterbud
  • May 19, 2008: addition of thumbnail images to Peaks of High Tatras section
  • Apr 04, 2008: addition to Maps section based on recommendation by Tomas Kristofory
  • Mar 04, 2008: additions to Mountain Rescue and Getting There sections based on recommendations by dmiki
  • Jan 18-22, 2008: picture additions by palic and peterbud, important info added to Red Tape section
  • Jan 14, 2008: important additions to the Publications section by peterbud
  • Jan 13, 2008: Page History and Plans section added by peterbud
  • Jan 10, 2008: additions to Publications and External Links sections, Mountain Rescue and Weather sections reworked by peterbud
  • Dec 18, 2007: Publications section added
  • Dec 14, 2007: Maps and External Links sections reworked by peterbud, some new pics added as well
  • Nov 08, 2007: Overview, Getting there sections reworked by peterbud
  • Oct 26, 2007: Camping, Mountain Chalets and Hotels section reworked by peterbud
  • Oct 20, 2007: SP pages image map and Allowed peaks sections added, online weather stickers added
  • Oct 12, 2007: Peaks of High Tatras section reworked in table format, Maps section extended
  • Jul 07, 2007: link updates for some of the huts
  • Mar 31, 2006: links to new SP mountain pages added
  • Oct 25, 2005: additions to Overview, Getting there, and Camping, Mountain Chalets and Hotels sections based on information by dynercia and jck
  • Jun 06, 2005: initial page release


Plans

  • Section about the dreadful Kalamita windbreak
  • addition of yet unlisted huts (Zamkovského, Bilíkova, Skalnata/Encián)

 

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
dynercia

dynercia - Oct 24, 2005 2:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

On Polish side there is a camping in Zakopane.

If you are a member of any climbing club you can camp in 3 places in mountain, too:
-horolezecke taborisko in Bielovodska (Bialej Wody) Valley (by blue marked rout)
-obozowisko taternickie PZA “Szalasiska” in Rybiego Potoku Valley (not far from Morskie Oko)
-obozowisko taternickie PZA in Suchej Wody Valley (by black marked rout)

dmiki

dmiki - Mar 20, 2012 3:58 am - Hasn't voted

Some nice overview maps

http://www.vysoketatry.com/mapy/p/zvt.html http://www.vysoketatry.com/mapy/p/vt.html

DamianG

DamianG - Mar 26, 2015 3:58 am - Hasn't voted

Practical info about climbing in Tatras

Hello I wrote text about climbing in Tatras (eng.). There you will find lots of info about mountaineering, multi-pitch climbing and some other info :) http://winterclimb.com/climbing-base/item/34-climbing-in-tatra-mountains-poland-slovakia I hope that will be helpful ;) Best regards Damian Granowski

AK1 - Jul 26, 2015 8:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Confirm camping locations...

What do you mean if you are a "member of ANY hiking club" you can tent camp? I'd like to hike in the Tatras and tent camp. I don't have an issue following the rules and camping in a designated spot; can anyone elaborate on the accessibility of these tenting areas? Can you pay at the refuges to setup a tent? I plan to visit the Polish side via Zakopane. I see you can tent in Zakopane, but I want to get into the mountains and do a multi-day hike.

peterbud

peterbud - Jul 28, 2015 12:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Confirm camping locations...

I'm only familiar with the regulation on the Slovak side and that's pretty clear. As for those campsites on the Polish side, you may turn to the CE Europe tread in the forum and ask around colleagues there about what's the current regulation.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.