Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.35730°N / 111.65124°W
Additional Information County: Utah County
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7698 ft / 2346 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Little Baldy (Timpanogos)

Little Baldy is the smaller of the two prominent foothills on the front side of Mt. Timpanogos. Big Baldy sits on one side of Dry Canyon and Little Baldy forms the other side---directly east-southeast of Big Baldy.

Getting There

There is no maintained trail to the summit and it is deceptively difficult to attain for a mountain of less than 8,000 feet in the Wasatch Range. There are several ways to attain the ridge which are listed below. The first two trails are attained from the North Orem "Stairway" trailhead or shooting range trailhead as it is commonly called.


1) (Recommended) Via the Great Western Trail:
From I-15, take the Orem/Lindon 1600 North exit and drive 4 miles until 1600 North curls on to 800 East. Simply drive up Cascade Drive from the intersection of 1600 North and 800 East in Orem. From the trailhead, proceed on the Bonneville Shoreline trail East until just before the top of the "Stairway". You will reach a candy cane shaped pipe 100 meters from the top with a trail to the left, take the trail and proceed approx 1.5 miles to "the rockpile" where the Great Western Trail joins in. Take the GW trail towards Timp and follow up the switchbacks a few miles until you top out. When you reach the Little Baldy-Timp saddle, break off the trail and bushwack up to the summit.

2) More Remote, more fun, & more difficult, Via the "Horse Trail": Simply drive up Cascade Drive from the intersection of 1600 North and 800 East in Orem. From the trailhead, proceed directly up the "Horse Trail" which is at the top end of the parking lot next to the shooting range. Follow the Horse trail up just over a mile and then take line of sight towards the summit on the unnamed trails until you attain the ridge line.

3) From Dry Canyon (Drive up Orem/Lindon 2000 North and turn up Dry Canyon Drive until you reach the trailhead): Hike up dry canyon until you hit the Trail 51 intersection---take Trail 51 to the ridge and either bushwack the ridge line or proceed to meet up with the Horse Trail route.

Red Tape

None that I am aware of.

Camping

You can pretty much camp anywhere along the routes. The Great Western route provides the best camping.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Nov 10, 2010 12:06 am - Hasn't voted

Longitude is off

111.65124°E is wrong. Try -111.65124

utahjimk

utahjimk - Oct 27, 2020 8:27 am - Hasn't voted

wildfire

this area has been extensively burned by the Range Fire (ignited 17 October 2020, human caused).

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.