The Miroir d'Argentine isn't a real summit. It's more of a face between the summit of the Cheval Blanc 2323 m (West) and the Haute Corde 2325 m (East). I use the name 'Miroir d'Argentine' because it is far more common and well known.
The Miroir d'Argentine is located in the Swiss canton Vaud, wich is part of Romandy (French speaking Switzerland). The mountain belongs to the Vaud Alps, wich lies in western part of the Bernese Alps. The most famous nearby peak is probably Les Diablerets 3210 m. The mountain consist of limestone, of overall good quality.
The name of the mountain refers to the Northwest Face, wich is smooth like a "mirror". The face is about 400 meters high. This face is well known by (sport)climbers, because it has a lot of beautiful climbing routes of all grades. On weekends and during summer it can be busy, wich can cause rockfall. So, be sure to take your helmet. The view from Solalex, wich is a very idyllic alp, is unique. The Solalex alp is also perfect for hiking and bouldering. Lot's of people from Villars are spending time here, probably because of the relaxing and beautiful surrounding.
First ascent of the Miroir d'Argentine: F.Delisle, Ch. Rathgeb 1926
Getting ThereTo Solalex
Solalex is located near the Swiss ski resort Villars, wich is very easy to reach either by car or by public transport.
By Car: Take exit St - Triphon or Bex on Highway A9. Then head in direction Villars/Gryon. Between these two villages you've La Gryonne, were the road to Solalex begins (Route de Solalex). Follow this untill you reach the alp. About 20-25 kilometers from the highway exit to Solalex.
By Public Transport: Take the Transports Publics du Chablais (TPC) train to station La Barboleuse. Then take the bus to Solalex. Attention: this bus only goes a few times a day!
To the Miroir d'Argentine
You'll have a clear view of the Miroir d'Argentine as soon as you arrive at Solalex. The best approach route for the climb runs up the slopes beneath the face. This small path is not very hard to find.
Solalex - Miroir d'Argentine: about 1.15 hours.
RoutesMost people will choose a (sport)climbing route on the Northwest Face. But, there is also a possibility to scramble your way up the mountain. The view is fantastic (towards Les Diablerets and Lac Leman). The summitridge is quiet exposed and grassy, so it isn't very pleasant when raining. Take the normal route to descent the Miroir d'Argentine. Do not rappel down the face, especially when there are more climbers!
Normal route of the Haute Corde 2325 m
1. From the Refuge Giacomini: Head in the direction of the Col de la Poreyrette and pass the Cabana Barraud (1956 m). From the col you need to climb the path up the grassy slopes to point 2139 m. From this point you can either follow the ridge, or (less exposed) go just south of the ridge. The summit has a small cross. About 1.5 hours.
2. From Solalex: cross the L'Avancon d'Anzeindez just behind the Restaurant and follow a small, very steep path wich leads you to the Col de la Poreyrette (2044 m). Here the route joins with the route from the Refuge Giacomini. About 2 - 3 hours.
Routes on the Miroir d'Argentine:
- Bal des mutants, Northwest Face, 400m, 6b+/A0
- Bel Hasard, NW, 400m, 6c+/A0
- Divine Martine, NW, 450m, 7a+
- Lyre, NW, 500m, 7a/A0
- Mamba, NW, 500m, 6c
- Papageno, NW, 400m, 5c+
- Remix, NW, 500m, 5c
- Succès Flou, NW, 450m, 6b+
- Voie Directe, NW, 400m, 5a
- Zygofolis (starts with the "Directe"), NW, 450m, 6a+
Climbing the "Mirror"
On the descent
Maps and GuidebooksMap 1:25 000:
- SAC Map: 1285 Les Diablerets
- SAC Map: 272 St-Maurice
- Topoguide Band 1, Nicole Luzar & Volker Roth, ISBN 3-00-016204-6
- Escalades Vaud Chablais, Bas Valais, Sanetsch, C. & Y. Remy, New edition 2004
- Plaisir WEST, Jürg von Känel, ISBN 3-906087-19-0
To order SAC Maps: www.toposhop.ch
To order Plaisir WEST: www.filidor.ch
External LinksRefuge Giacomini 1876 m
Phone (hut): +41 (0)24 498 22 95
Solalex 1469 m
Phone (hut): +41 (0)24 498 14 46
Other useful links:
WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research SLF - Avalance Bulletin
Weather Forecast - Detailed weather forecast
Railroad information - Railroad schedule
Bus information - Postbus schedule
Camping - Camping Barboleusaz