OverviewThis Bernese Oberland mountain rises like an island in a sea of ice. Trugberg is surrounded by the Jungfraufirn on the west side and the Ewigschneefeld on the east side. The north end starts at the Oberes Mönchjoch and it stretches almost down to the Konkordiaplatz in the south. The 4½ km long N-S ridge has several separate tops with the highest being 3932.9 meter. Comparing to the neighbouring 4000 meter peaks, Trugberg does not attract much attention from mountaineers. The situation would have been different if the summit had been just 67.1 meter higher. Still the long ridge of Trugberg is worth a visit with many interesting views of the Oberland mountains.
The famous glacier researcher Agassiz was deceived when in 1841 from the Grossen Aletschgletscher he mistook the Trugberg for the Jungfrau. Realizing the mistake he gave the mountain the dubitative name Trugberg (Cheating mountain).
Trugberg was first climbed 13 July 1871 by Dr. Emil Burckardt from Basel, with the two local guides Peter Egger and Peter Schlegel. The route they took was by the east flank.
Getting ThereJungfraujoch at 3454 meter is reached by train from Kleine Scheidegg coming from Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen.
The Mönchjoch hut (3650 meter) is a 45 minutes walk from Jungfraujoch.
From the south the Konkordia huts (2850 meter) are approached from Fiesch. From Jungfraujoch allow two hours over the Jungfraufirn and the Konkordiaplatz.
When to climbMid June to end of September.
Maps and booksSwiss Maps:
Show larger map
Red TapeNo permits or fees.
External LinksClimbing photos
Trip report (Swedish)