Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.41230°N / 7.92526°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12539 ft / 3822 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Nesthorn is located to the S of the Lötschental in Bernese Oberland, more or less between big neighbors as the Aletschhorn and the Bietschhorn. As the peak is quite isolated, he is rather unknown. Nevertheless the Nesthorn is worth climbing and also offers quite challenging routes through its N Face.

Routes

  • W Ridge - PD (6 hours)

  • SE Ridge - AD+ (8-10 hours)

  • NE Ridge - D (6-12 hours, depending on route taken)

  • N Face - TD (8-11 hours)
All routes are described well in Bernese Oberland Selected Climbs by Les Swindin.

Getting There

The Nesthorn can be climbed from the Oberaletschhütte (SAC - 2640m - 60 places - Phone: 0041 (0)27 927 17 67) or the Baltschiederhütte (SAC - 2783m - 76 places - Phone: 0041 (0)27 952 23 65). The Oberaletschhütte can be reached in 5 hours from Blatten, the Baltschiederhütte can be reached in 5 to 7 hours from Ausserberg. Since the Oberaletschhütte is frequented a lot by families during high season and since some climbers stay another night after having climbed the Aletschhorn, it is recommended to make a reservation.

Camping

There are several camping sites in the Rhone Valley near Visp or Brig which can be used as a basecamp to climb the Nesthorn. There are no camping sites in Blatten or Ausserberg, which are the starting points for the hikes to the huts!

When To Climb

The Nesthorn can be climbed from the moment that nearly all the snow on the ridge has melted until winter arrives again.

Red Tape

No red tape is required to climb the Nesthorn. To all visitors, make sure it keeps that way. Off course it's recommended to be a member of an alpine club to be insured for rescue in case of an emergency.