Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.37350°N / 121.6956°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 25, 2018
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Excellent conditions

Include text here.

We managed to get the weather window, employment opportunity with very few people on the mountain.  This was the "perfect" trip. Snow right out of the parking lot, just following the climbers trail to about 9,000 feet where we bivied for the night.  We decided to enjoy a mountain sunset and shorten the summit climb. So we carried our overnight gear and it was worth it. A little windy, but no real issues...just great to be on the mountain.  We did run into two other teams doing the same.  Up at 2:30, climbing at 3:30 with firm snow all the way to the summit. We could see headlamps already ahead of us with people strung out down the mountain behind us, but not many.  We estimated 30 or so climbers that would summit today.  Hogsback with rounded with easy passing climbers going both ways.  We were able to climb straight up Hogsback into Pearly Gates and summit in a strong wind. No ice falling on us. Summit just as Sun came over horizon...earliest Volcano summit for us ever! Couple of other teams plus one climber with his dog!  A little slow down through the chute in Pearly Gates with a new team being careful down climbing with no place to pass, but what the heck??? No hurry. so early.  Maybe a dozen coming up Hogsback as we descended. Back to tent, one step after another on a great day with climbing friend Nick. Load up the stuff after a lunch break, find the van at  Timberline. Only 325 miles to go back to Ferndale and Everson.  No complaints, our old legs are still working....



Comments

No comments posted yet.