Welcome to SP!  -
Hood and Rainier : 2007
Trip Report
Trip Reports
Trip Reports

Hood and Rainier : 2007

Hood and Rainier : 2007

Page Type: Trip Report

Location: Oregon/Washington, United States, North America

Object Title: Hood and Rainier : 2007

Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 23, 2007

Activities: Mountaineering

Season: Summer


Page By: Ingman

Created/Edited: Aug 22, 2008 / Jan 11, 2009

Object ID: 434269

Hits: 4306 

Page Score: 76.66%  - 7 Votes 

Vote: Log in to vote



The Plan

Climb the highest points in Oregon (Mount Hood 11,249) and Washington (Mount Rainier 14,410) in the span of one week. Seeing as we all (but one) had zero experience with glacier travel, we would first go through school low on Mount Hood, then climb Hood (via The Hog's Back), and then climb Rainier (via Emmons-Winthrop Glacier).

The Team

Consisted of 5 individuals from Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Becky Gibbs 23, My girlfriend, a last minute addition to our team, but a vital addition none-the-less. No technical mountaineering experience.
Jake Ingman 26, My brother, no technical mountaineering experience.
Joel Schwarz 27, My brother's (and mine) longtime friend, no technical mountaineering experience.
Scotty Schnieder 24, My buddy from college, took a 1 month NOLS mountaineering course – a vital member of the climb as he was the only one who knew his stuff and put us through school.
Ben Ingman 23, Me, no technical mountaineering experience.


Ben and Becky

Joel(L) Jake(R)

Travel, Gear, and School

Day One: Travel

In spite of the months of planning we had done, we were still piecing things together at the last minute. It probably didn't help that my girlfriend Becky decided that she would come along “to hang at base camp” while we climbed and we needed to get everything together for her in a matter of minutes – packing her mountaineering gear “just in case.”

The drive from Mankato to Hood River, Oregon is long and boring, but part of the deal. We arrived in Hood River without incident the next day.

Day Two: Team Introductions, Gear check, Planning

In Hood River, we met up with Jake, and Joel. One of our planned partners, Matt, had a last minute change of events, and couldn't come with on the trip. This put us down one person, which turned all eyes to Becky, the current "extra" person. Becky pretty quickly agreed to climb with us in lieu of Matt.

It amazes me that this is how climbing teams are almost always assembled. First, there is the core individuals who want to do the trip, then they recruit a few people, then a couple of them bail at the last minute, while others jump aboard at the last minute. You never really know who will actually be there climbing with you until you are standing at the base of the climb.

This day was spent with everyone assembling the necessary gear. We discussed in depth what each individual will need, how we will organize our rope teams, and what we will need to carry for our first climb – Mount Hood. We ended up buying a few things at the local climbing store, and were finally set to go.
Off to School on Hood
Headed off to school on Hood.

Day Three: Introduction to Mountaineering

This day was spent at the base of Mount Hood going through school. We walked up in full attire on a snowfield and found an ideal snow slope that trailed off into a safe snow-filled gully. Scotty showed us the proper ways to self arrest and every member of our team perfected these techniques (falling forwards, backwards, sideways, etc.).

After everyone felt competent in their arresting abilities, we assembled rope teams and practiced traveling on a glacier (simulated on the low angle snowfield). We held mock situations (falls, Zero's, crevasse rescues, etc.) practiced anchor placements, etc. etc.

After Scotty had shown us all of these techniques and we were comfortable with ours (and each other's) mastery of them, we felt ready to tackle Hood.

Mount Hood

Day Four: Mount Hood

Up the Hog s Back
Scotty and Jake climbing up to the summit ridge.

At 2:00am we were in the car, not really even fully awake yet (except Joel, who was driving). All the gear was packed the night before and all that was left to do was throw on our clothes and jump in the car.

By 3:00am we had registered for the climb and were climbing the lowest snowfield by headlamp. I saw other climbers higher up on the mountain than us, but was still confident that we got an early enough start to make it to the summit in good time. The stars above are inspiring for the morning weather, and everyone on the team is keeping up a good clip on the first snowfield – trying (though failing) to contain our adrenaline of starting the climb under pristine conditions.

By 5:00am we were at the base of the hog's back (on the South face). The climb ahead looked technical, but we were already over 1/2 way up the mountain, making great time - everyone proved to be in excellent physical condition.

Summit of Mount Hood
Summit of Hood! 7:43am : 11,249

At this point we were left with a decision; either we would rope up here, and risk becoming entangled with a higher falling group of climbers (like what happened in 2002, here) or we proceed unroped and leave it up to each individual to arrest his/her own fall. The group talked it over, and everyone felt comfortable with his/her own ability to self arrest on the slope of question, so we proceeded unroped, but still with ropes in tow in case we reached a section where we decided to use them.

Our decision to stay unroped later proved to be a good one, as we ended up crossing right beneath a team of 7 and their guide all strewn across one 60meter rope. We also passed a team of 3 on what looked to be a 15 foot static cord (6mm?). Apparently this was the place for rookies (like us) to learn the trade, whether it be the right way or not.

The bergschrund at the top of the hog's back was too large to cross, so we, taking cue from the tracks and other parties, traversed left to gain the ridge left of the Pearly Gates.
Hog s Back - Mount Hood
Becky Joel and Scotty finishing off the Hog's back.

By 7:43am we had reached the summit - what great time! The sky was a perfect blue and the summit was pleasant enough to have lunch and change clothes! We posed for photos and noticed Mt. Rainier in full view - it looked quite humbling, even after a speedy ascent of Hood.

On descent I began to feel a headache coming on, as I had made the wonderfully predictable mistake of not drinking enough water. Once we reached the snowfield I glissaded and ran down ahead of the group, thinking that the drop in elevation would help my head, and it did. We were all back at the car by 12:00pm. Up and down in 9 hours - not bad!

Descending the Hog s Back (Mount Hood)
Becky, Joel, Scotty and Jake beginning the descent of the Hog's Back.

Regroup and Travel

Day Five: "Rest Day"

Gear Madness
The mess of gear between Hood and Rainier. Joel (far left) takes a well deserved load off.

This day was spent drying out gear, resorting gear, and driving from Hood River to the base of Mount Rainier. Driving from one mountain to another is not the best way to spend a rest day, but was the best we could do with the schedules we had. We wanted to allot as much time as possible to hit a weather window on Rainier, and this meant spending as much time as possible on the mountain. In hindsight, this lack of a true rest day was foolish, and would eventually jeopardize our ascent of Rainier.

The evening was spent planning how much gas, food, water, etc. to bring, and dividing gear among each climber's pack. This process was far too abbreviated and extra time spent on logistics would've been time well spent (as we would later find out).

(Special thanks goes out to Dane for letting us do this to his house - and, more importantly, for the Full Sail.)


Day Six: Mount Rainier: Base to Camp Schurman

Approach to Rainier
The approach to Rainier.

Up at 5:00am in the campground in Rainier National Park. We packed up camp and drove out to the registration station. It is only once we are here that we realize how much longer the route is than we originally anticipated – which prompted Scotty and I to spend our time studying the map, trying to memorize it (never a good idea). We realized that the map that we had (National Park Map) was totally inadequate in comparison to a map of the actual intended route.

We also got word that the weather was supposed to turn bad in the next few days and stay bad for a while – adding urgency to the climb. All eyes were now turned to Camp Schurman, and getting there as fast as possible.

With our awful map in hand we started the approach, which is beautiful along the side of a glacial runoff – but the weather was not promising, with heavy rain persistent for the majority of the hike. Our athletic group made short work of the approach, and we were soon the snowfield below the Inter glacier. We stopped at the last possible stream, drank as much water as possible and filled our nalgenes. From this point on we would be roped up for the duration of the climb. Our rope teams were Scotty, Jake, and Joel on a 60 meter rope, and Becky and I on a 60 meter 1/2 rope doubled back.

The rain stopped, but we quickly climbed into a snowstorm, which eventually developed into a whiteout. We knew we needed to break out left from this glacier about 1/2 way up, but once the whiteout boar in, it was impossible to tell how far up the glacier we actually were. Scotty was leading at this point, and took an intuitive gamble out left. With our poor map in hand, and in the face of this whiteout, it was anyone's guess.

This turned to be too early on the glacier to break left as the trail eventually lead to huge crevasses which we recognized as being low on the Emmons glacier. We backtracked back onto the Inter Glacier and continued prodding our way up through the whiteout.

After some time, we found ourselves on talus and off the glacier, which was not supposed to be part of the route, not good. We consulted our map and altimeter. The altimeter read over 9,700ft. - higher than Camp Schurman. We realize that we were in fact on top of the Steamboat Prow (elevation 9,720ft). This was a terrible realization. We had missed our turn out left but saw that Camp Schurman should be just 200 feet below us to the southeast. We made an attempt at trying to go down the ships prow, but the loose rock conditions and fall potential quickly turned us back onto the Inter Glacier. This was all, mind you, still in a whiteout. 
Ascending into the Whiteout on Inter
Climbing into the whiteout on the Inter Glacier (Becky, Jake, Joel, Scotty)

We began heading down the eastern ridge of Steamboat Prow, hell bent on not missing the break to the East onto Emmons Glacier. As we climbed down we could hear other climbers ascending up to our left (the West). We couldn't see them, due to the whiteout, but we realized we are close enough to communicate with them. Our conversation went something like