Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.50305°N / 105.66427°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12870 ft / 3923 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Front Range from summit
summit - Pikes Peak in the far distance

From Southern Denver the summit of Mount Logan can be seen peeking over the foothills of the Front Range.

Its vast tundra covered slopes form the terminus of a gentle ridge heading straight due southeast from Mount Evans.

Sitting high above the valleys of Deer Creek, Geneva Creek and North Fork of the South Platte River, Mount Logan offers a fantastic 360 degree view -across the Front Range, Lost Creek Wilderness, South Park, Mosquito Range, Collegiate Peaks and the Sangres.

Its comparable low altitude as well as the lack of established trails to its summit make Mount Logan a rarely visited summit.

When crossing the tundra in later spring, surrounded by snow covered peaks you might feel like crossing the fields in Scandinavia..and you are not that far off - the tundras of the Mount Evans Wilderness are one of the few places south of the arctic circle where one can actually walk over arctic tundra!

Take your time and you will see an abundance of birds and might catch a view of the bighorn sheep herd which is calling the area of Mount Logan its summer home.

Getting There

Looking Southwards from summit
Tundra

The two major starting points for hikes up to Mount Logan are

1. THREE MILE CREEK TRAILHEAD

From Denver drive westwards on US 285 through Bailey (on the weekends police is out in full force to punish anyone caught speeding) and turn right in Grant on the Guanella Pass Road. The pavement soon ends, but the dirt road is suitable for normal passenger cars. Keep in mind that in winter there is no winter maintenance between late afternoon and early morning. The Three Mile Creek Trailhead is a small parking spot on your right - three miles down the road. In winter parking spots might not always be accessible, especially after recent heavy snowfall.


2. DEER CREEK TRAILHEAD

From Denver drive westwards on US-285, passing Conifer and Pine Junction. 4.4 miles southwest of Pine Junction, turn right on Park County Road 43 (Deer Creek Road). Drive 8.3 miles on the Deer Creek Road to the Deer Creek Campground. This road changes to dirt a mile before the campground, but is suitable for passenger cars. Drive 0.8 miles past the campground to reach the Deer Creek Trailhead. It is a pretty bumpy ride after passing the campground, but it is makeable for "normal" passenger cars from spring to fall. Accessibility in winter might be tricky for non 4 x4 cars.

 

Red Tape

Tundras of Mount Logan
South Park from Summit

Mount Logan is entirely within the Mount Evans Wilderness

Please follow all Rules and Regulations

Especially:

No campfire within 100 ft of lakes, streams and trails

No camping within 100ft of lakes, streams and trails

Dogs have to be leashed

Group size is limited to 15

Pack out what you packed in


Camping

Wren - trying to impress a female

Official National Forestcampsites close to the trailheads

1. DEER CREEK TRAILHEAD

Deer Creek Campground

Meridian Campground

2. THREEMILE CREEK TRAILHEAD

Geneva Park Campground

Burning Bear Campground

Whiteside Campground



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.