Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.46950°N / 105.8948°W
Additional Information County: Jackson/Grand
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12951 ft / 3947 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Richthofen, at 12,951 (or 12,940 depending who ya ask) feet, is the summit of the rugged and forbiddingly named Never Summer Range. The peak is on the boundary of Rocky Mountain National Park and the Colorado State Forest, as well as Jackson and Grand Counties. As per Brian Kalet, Richthofen may be the high point of Jackson County. Richthofen is surrounded by other ranges on all four sides, and aside from the nearby highway has a remote mountain feel compared to much of the Front Range. It can be accessed year round and presents a variety of mountaineering challenges, from hiking and scrambling to ski mountaineering and snow climbing. Not only is this mountain not a tourist death trap 14er, but it is just barely not an increasingly popular 13er, so you might have some semblance of solitude even on a summer weekend. In the winter, with much longer approaches, this mountain is stark and wild.

Getting There

For the NW side of the mountain, above Lake Agnes, see the Lake Agnes Trailhead page. More details are given in the West Ridge Route Description.

For the E side of the mountain, start from the Colorado River Trailhead off of Trail Ridge Road between Grand Lake and Milner Pass on the western half of the continental divide in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP).

From the W, to access the W and SW sides of the mountain, it appears from the map that one could approach via CO Rd 21/FS Rd 740, but you would have to find out whether the mountain is accessible from there on your own.

Red Tape

Parking at the Lake Agnes Trailhead in the Colorado State Forest requires a $5.00 day use fee as of 2012. These things change, and they never get cheaper.

From the east side, one must enter RMNP, I would assume the standard park entrance fee applies.

All state and federal laws are in effect, just in case you were wondering. Since this is Colorado, and I am writing this in 2013, that means you can smoke pot up there I guess.

Camping

For camping in Rocky Mountain National Park, check the NPS website.

For camping off of CO14, visit the Colorado State Forest page.

External Links

Peakbagger.com

Brian Kalet's Site

Lists of John



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Never Summer RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks