Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.19400°N / 71.389°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3910 ft / 1192 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mount Webster, previously known as Notch Mountain (there are two Mount Websters located in New Hampshire), was renamed in honor of Daniel Webster, a U.S.senator from New Hampshire. The summit is crossed by the Wester Cliff Trail. The trail to the summit is heavily wooded with beautiful pine trees and streams along and crossing the trail.

Getting There


Mount Webster is located approximately 0.5 hours north of North Conway, New Hampshire. From North Conway, take Route 302 North going almost to the Crawford Depot. Just prior to the Crawford Depot, there is a small parking area along the left side of Route 302. Park here and hike across the road to the trailhead which is clearly marked.

Red Tape


Parking was free. We did not pay any user fess and I am not aware of any fees required.

When To Climb


Year round climbing is available. Winter climbing can be severe and snow shoes were required as well as all other winter hiking gear. We climbed in January, 2003 and the temperature was 0 degrees.

Camping


The Mizpah Spring Hut is several miles to the north and can be accessed by the Webster Cliff Trail from the summit of Mount Webster. The hut was closed on the day of our climb, so call in advance to check for openings or reservations.

In addition, the Dry River Campgrounds are located several miles to the south of Crawford Depot along Route 302. They offer (31) primitive camp-sites at $13 per night. This is a state run camp-site. It is open from early May until early December.

Check out the link on this page for the campgrounds.

Mountain Conditions


Use the Mount Washington web-site for similiar conditions. Mount Webster is approximately 2,500' smaller and will not be quite as severe as Mount Washington.

Check out the link on this page for the Mount Washington website.

Routes


From the North: Webster Jackson Trail-From the parking lot along the west side of Route 302, cross over Route 302 and join the trailhead which is clearly marked with a signpost and the trail is marked in blue. Head southeast along the Webster Jackson Trail. At approximately 0.1 miles into the hike, you will come to a trail intersection with a turn-off to the right for the Elephant Head Spur. The Elephant Head is a ledge that forms the east side of the Gate of the Notch. The formation looks very similiar to an elephant's head. The Webster Jackson Trail continues to the left and crosses Little Mossy Brook at 0.3 miles. At 0.6 miles the trail intersects with a side path to the right to Bugle Cliff which affords great views. In event of ice, exercise extreme caution. The Wester Cliff Trail continues fairly steeply and crosses Flume Cascade Brook at 0.9 miles . At 1.4 miles the trail divides and to the left goes to Mount Jackson and to to the right Mount Webster. The Wester Jackson Trail continues and at 2.4 miles it intersects with the Webster Cliff Trail at the summit.

From the South: Webster Cliff Trail-The trail (which is a part of the Appalachian Trail) starts at the east side of Route 302 opposite the road to the Willey House Station, about 1 mile south of the Willey House Recreation Area. The trail climbs steeply after leaving Route 302 getting steeper as it approaches the cliffs. At 1.8 miles, the trail reahces the first open ledge and the trail begins to flatten out and the grades become much less steeper. At 2.4 miles there is a view of the State Park buildings. The summit is reached at the 3.3 mile point.

Weather Forecasts



theme=default&user=default&forecast=hourly&place=North+Conway&state=nh&zipcode=&icao=KIZG&country=us&bgc=&tc=&t=&metric=0&display="border="0"width="175"height="90">



theme=default&user=default&forecast=zone&zipcode=&place=North+Conway&state=nh&country=us&bgc=&tc=&t=&metric=0&display="border="0"width="330"height="203">

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.