Mountains (Hills) of the Keweenaw

Mountains (Hills) of the Keweenaw

Michigan, United States, North America
Page Type Page Type: List
Additional Information County: Keweenaw
Sign the Climber's Log

First things first...

OK, we all know that there are no actual "mountains" in the Keweenaw, in Michigan, or in the Midwest for that matter. However, the Keweenaw Peninsula, because of its incredibly rich geologic history, contains a number of hills/outcrops that rise hundreds of feet above the surrounding area, and give anyone willing to give them a variety of magnificent views. This list is simply to condense the basics of each highpoint in one place, and provide links to more information on each of them in one location.

So, without further ado, let's get started. The peaks are, in no particular order:

Mount Houghton

Mount Houghton
Located near Mt. Bohemia and the towns of Lac la Belle and Bete Grise, MI, Mount Houghton contains some of the best-kept-secret views in the Keweenaw. Bluffs on the north and south sides provide an almost 360 degree view. Well worth the effort to get there!

Mt. Baldy (Mt. Lookout)

Mt. Baldy
It's name varies depending on who you're talking to, but that doesn't take anything away from Mt. Baldy/Lookout. This hilltop offers one of the only true 360 degree panoramas, and from the top it truly feels like you can see forever in every direction. A stiff hike accompanies this mountain.

The Cliff Range

The Cliffs
More of a series of cliffs than a "peak," the Cliff Range contains a lot of places to see Lake Superior and the Keweenaw. There are many places to stop and hike around along the "spine" of the Keweenaw here.

Brockway Mountain

Brockway Mountain
Long a tradition to drive the length of this mountain, Brockway gets a lot of attention because of its proximity to Copper Harbor and the ease of driving to the top. There are hiking routes available, though, and even so, there's nothing wrong with a short scenic detour to the top of a peak just to take it all in. Like Baldy, this one offers pretty much a 360 degree view.

Bare Bluff

Bare Bluff
A different type of rock formation than the others, Bare Bluff is still a great place to get an unrivaled view of Lake Superior and the Keweenaw tip. This place is protected by the Nature Conservancy and involves a short hike.

Mt. Bohemia

A ski hill rests atop this mountain. Not much else to say about it...
They do fall color tour rides on their lifts in autumn, and the resort offers some of the best skiing in the Midwest.

Gratiot Mountain

I haven't visited this guy yet, and I don't know if it is even possible. However, it does show up on maps. If I get the chance, I will report on thte feasibility and views. Location

Mt. Horace Greely

This hill had its top removed, and houses some type of penitentiary, or used to. Nobody really knows... You can't get to the top without special permission. A bit of urban legend attached to this place.
Some of the story.
And some more.

East Bluff

Shows up on maps, near the tip of the Keweenaw. Like Gratiot Mountain, I have no idea if it's accessible or even worth hiking up. If I get a chance I'll report on it. Location

Geography
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.