Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 47.24941°N / 88.30811°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering, Ice Climbing, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This page only touches the tip of the proverbial iceberg when it comes to things to do in the Keweenaw. If you have any additional ideas for pages or things to add, please feel free to let me know; I want to help get the word out on Upper Michigan's beauty for all to see!

Introduction to the Keweenaw

Brockway MountainThe Keweenaw Ignites with color every autumn.
Located in the far north of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the Keweenaw Peninsula is a true natural gem. Known widely for its large amount of annual snowfall, the area is home to many beautiful waterfalls, pristine beaches along the greatest lake on earth, deep forests, many other natural landmarks and has miles and miles of trails just waiting to be tread upon. Kayaking and canoeing are popular in the area, and if you know where you are going there are some very good climbing spots to be had. There are things to do in any season in the Keweenaw; the summers are warm and green, autumn brings explosions of color across the area and winter provides plenty of snow for playing in.

Getting There

Your starting point for any Keweenaw adventure is Houghton, MI. A beautiful town of about 7,000 located directly on US Highway 41, Houghton shares the only bridge that crosses into the Keweenaw Peninsula proper. Here are some mileages from major cities to Houghton.
the keweenaw peninsula

Minneapolis: 368 miles:
Chicago: 415 miles
Detroit: 554 miles

Here are some mileages from Houghton to other places in the UP

Marquette: 99 miles
Sault Ste. Marie: 263 miles
Munising: 142 miles
Iron Mountain: 113 miles
Ontonagon: 51 miles
Ironwood: 109 miles
Escanaba: 149 miles
St. Ignace: 261 miles

And finally, to places in the Keweenaw:

Calumet: 12 miles
Lake Linden: 11 miles
McLain State Park: 12 miles
Eagle Harbor: 36 miles
Copper Harbor: 46 miles
Lac La Belle: 40 miles

From Houghton, nothing in the Keweenaw is more than about an hour's drive away.

Isle Royale

The Keweenaw Peninsula is the main launching point for visitors to Isle Royale National Park. Ferries leave from both Houghton (where the park is headquartered) and Copper Harbor. Please see Isle Royale's Summitpost page for more information.



(photos courtesy Arthur Digbee, dwhike and hikeman76)

Keweenaw Waterfalls

The Keweenaw enjoys the privelege of having numerous beautiful waterfalls. HERE is information on how to get to the ones I have personally been to. If you have any falls to add, or more information to add to mine, please feel free to let me know!
hungarian falls




Keweenaw 'Mountains'

The backbone of the Keweenaw is the Keweenaw Fault. This ancient rift that once nearly split the continent in half is now much tamer than in times past, but its ruggedness and splendor have lost little. What time has left in its place is a nearly unbroken chain of summits that begins west of here in the Porcupine Mountains and continues on in the Trap Hills and straight through the Keweenaw to the tip. These hills, bluffs and summits rise magnificently from the heavy northern forests to offer sweeping views of the surrounding landscape as well as Lake Superior. Among these are Mt. Baldy, Brockway Mountain (page coming as soon as I get more info), Mt. Houghton, the Cliffs, Bare Bluff, Mt. Horace Greeley and several others. Most of these mountains have relatively simple hikes to the top and offer outstanding views well worth the effort to make it to the top. A good topographic map (or access to a computer) can assure you many different hikes on each of them--if you can get there in your car in the first place!

Mount Houghton (prominent hill; left) and Bare Bluff (rock outcrop; right), Northern Keweenaw County, March 2009


**PLEASE CHECK BACK, AS I WILL UPDATE INFORMATION ON THESE PLACES AS I GET ENOUGH INFO TO DO SO. THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING**

The Cliff Range

The Cliffs are located in the northern part of the Keweenaw. An exposed chunk of billion-year-old basalt along the above-mentioned Keweenaw fault, they rise out of the ground forming the peninsula's backbone and attract hikers and climbers alike from all around. HERE is a link to more information.



Looking east and south from the top of Obsession.

Ice Climbing in the Keweenaw

I know that people do ice climb on certain waterfalls during the winter months. The only place I know of for certain is Hungarian Falls, but I do not have any information beyond the fact that people do it. The people you want to contact regarding ice climbing, or rock climbing in summer, are the MTU Ridge Roamers. (climb@mtu.edu)

If you have any information on ice climbing in the Keweenaw PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! I would like to dedicate a page to it, but lack the information/pictures.

Links

Down Wind Sports (stores in Houghton and Marquette; a good resource for places to go)
Waterfalls of the UP (look in Houghton and Keweenaw Counties)
Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce
Keweenaw Convention and Visitors Bureau
Isle Royale National Park
Keweenaw National Historical Park
City of Houghton
Copper Harbor

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.