Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.80769°N / 125.72733°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6676 ft / 2035 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Filberg is the high point of the Filberg Range, the mountain divide between the Wolf River and Cervus Creek. It's the 11th highest peak on Vancouver Island. The mountain is a large sprawling basalt dome. Where there is steep rock it is solid but the mountain lacks any aesthetic climbing lines but makes an excellent challenging hike to the summit with a couple of scrambling routes for those looking for a bit more spice.

Getting There

Access to starting an ascent of Mt Filberg is straightforward. Drive west on Highway 28 from Campbell River. Turn right at Buttle Narrows keeping to the Highway toward Gold River. Watch for the Provincial Park parking lot at Lady Falls and start here.

Route

The best and most direct route to the summit of Mt Filberg is via the long Northwest Ridge that rises up from near Highway 28 to the east of Lady Falls and the confluence of Cervus Creek and the main Elk River. Use a compass bearing or GPS to navigate across the lower part of the valley to reach the tow of the ridge. A long ascent up the forested hillside eventually tops out on the ridge crest at sub-alpine elevation. Follow the ridge southeastward toward the peak. Several pinnacles force the route onto some exposed traverses across high ledges. At the base of the upper mountain either scramble up the Northeast Buttress (low 5th) or descend and traverse the cirque to the east and hike up the easier southeast flanks to the wide summit.

Camping

Backcountry camping within Strathcona Park must be more than 1km from a road, in the is case Highway 28. Otherwise the considerations are as for all backcountry overnights: practice strict leave-no-trace, pay special attention to minimizing disturbance in the sensitive wildlife habitat in Cervus Creek, don't flag or otherwise mark any hiking routes and remember that no fires are permitted in Strathcona Park backcountry at any time of year regardless of the Provincial Fire Ban status.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine Select.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks