Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.47900°N / 125.50571°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6423 ft / 1958 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Rosseau is an impressive serrated mountain of pinnacles arcing in dramatic fin between the Drinkwater Creek and Ash River valleys in the south-central region of Strathcona Park. There are no peaks quite as high nearby so it stands prominently on the skyline from many viewpoints in Strathcona Park and farther south like from Mt Arrowsmith.

Getting There

The usual way to approach Mt Rosseau is from Campbell River along Highway 28 to the Buttle Lake Parkway and up the gravel Jim Mitchell Lake Road to the Bedwell Trail parking lot. From the trailhead hike the Bedwell Lake trail to the camp at Baby Bedwell and on to the main camp at Bedwell Lake. It is possible (in terms of minimizing impact even preferable) to base camp at Bedwell Lake. From here a well-travelled path ascends a forested ridge to the Bedwell-Drinkwater col and Little Jim Lake. From here the first peak of the mountain, The Citadel, is visible. Continue hiking a bench across the hillside and descend to Cream Lake and the base of the mountain.

Route

The standard route up Mt Rosseau is up easy gullies and rock steps on the west face. From Cream Lake make a long steady climb up the shrinking glacier to the prominent west shoulder or Mt Septimus. Traverse along the base of the upper mountain to roughly the centre of the face. From here ascend heather covered gullies, ledges and a few exposed rock steps onto the small summit.

Camping

Backcountry camping within Strathcona Park must be more than 1km from a road. Camping fees apply for this area - see details at the Bedwell Trail parking lot. Otherwise the considerations are as for all backcountry overnights: practice strict leave-no-trace, don't flag or otherwise mark any hiking routes and remember that no fires are permitted in Strathcona Park backcountry at any time of year regardless of the Provincial Fire Ban status.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine Select.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks