Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.77306°N / 125.73831°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6391 ft / 1948 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Haig-Brown is located along the mid-section of the Filberg Range (Cervus-Wolf Divide) east of Cervus Creek. With no nearby trail and much rugged alpine terrain on either side of the peak is a challenge to reach although an easy hike ascent by it's standard route. There are few low elevation vantages to view the peak from, the very best being along the Buttle Lake Parkway where its steep east face can be seen on the west side of Buttle Lake overlooking the Wolf River.

The mountain is named for Roderick and Anne Haig-Brown distinguished naturalists and long time Campbell River area residents.

Getting There

Mt Haig-Brown is usually approached from the northwest along the Cervus Creek valley from the Lady Falls parking lot on Highway 28. It may also be reached via the alpine trek along the Filberg Range. More arduous is the access out of the Wolf River valley for which a canoe is needed to cross Buttle Lake.

Standard Route

The standard route up My Haig-Brown is via the south flanks from Cervus Creek. Because of the sensitive elk habitat in Cervus Creek it would be best to avoid travel through the valley from July-October. There's no regulations stipulating this but voluntary adherence might go along way to ensuring no future restrictions are enforced by BC Parks.

An excellent elk trail runs up west side of the creek. Please do not flag or otherwise mark this natural trail. From a point near the wide meadow spanning the floor of the valley strike up the hillside on the east side, keeping to the north of the Ptarmigan Pinnacles. The travel is surprisingly good with many open rock slabs and little bush. Keep trending toward the steep cliffs at the northwest corner of Ptarmigan Pinnacles. At the base of these cliffs a forested gully leads down into a sub-alpine basin. From here the route opens up ahead. A gully leads out of the basin to a wide open area of alpine meadows and small lakes. Hike northward ascending the southern slopes of Mt Haig-Brown. A cliff band forces a traverse leftward toward the top, no more than easy 3rd class.

Camping

Backcountry camping within Strathcona Park must be more than 1km from a road. Camping fees apply for this area - see details at the Bedwell Trail parking lot. Otherwise the considerations are as for all backcountry overnights: practice strict leave-no-trace, don't flag or otherwise mark any hiking routes and remember that no fires are permitted in Strathcona Park backcountry at any time of year regardless of the Provincial Fire Ban status.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine Select.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks