Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.68834°N / 125.46348°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6 ft / 2 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Mitchell is located at the head of the Oyster River valley in the Augerpoint Mountain group. The access is fairly good and many hikers pass close by every year on the Augerpoint Traverse. 

Getting There

Mt Mitchell may be reached either from logging roads in the Oyster River valley toward Pearl and Norm lakes or from the higher ground near Augerpoint Mountain via Jack's Trail up from Buttle Lake.

Standard Route

Mt Mitchell may not have been climbed frequently enough to claim a 'standard' route but one of the better routes and one without the hassles of the logging road access is the scramble up the elegant South Ridge.

Camping

Backcountry camping within Strathcona Park must be more than 1km from a road. Otherwise the considerations are as for all backcountry overnights: practice strict leave-no-trace, don't flag or otherwise mark any hiking routes and remember that no fires are permitted in Strathcona Park backcountry at any time of year regardless of the Provincial Fire Ban status.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine Select.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks