North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 53.08041°N / 4.05462°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scrambling to Grade 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

In summer, Crib Goch can be a busy, busy place. So what if you want to still climb it but want to avoid the crowds? What if you want to do the Snowdon Horseshoe but want mix things up a bit by covering some different ground?

Well my friend, the North Ridge is your answer, because although it's not climbed as much as the East Ridge and isn't on the normal route of the aforementioned Horseshoe, that doesn't make it any less beautiful or interesting to climb. It is still a Grade I scramble and an exposed one two and it also takes you through the tranquil and less visited Cwm Glas Mawr.

It is a wilder experience than the usual routes up the mountains, it's rocks are less polished and you will find loose rock in places. All in all, it's not only a great scramble in its own right but a whole new way of experiencing the much visited Snowdon.

Getting There

Pass of Llanberis from the approach
(Photo by Nanuls)
The starting point for North Ridge is at Blaen-Nant (SH622569), just off the A4086 in the Pass of Llanberis. This is next-door to the better known Climbers' Club Hut at Ynys Ettws.

The Pass can be reached easily by road on the A4086, which runs between Llanberis (SH 582 598) and Capel Curig (SH 719 580). Parking may be found in one of the various laybys along the road, with the largest being just opposite the Cromlech Boulders (SH 628 567), which is around 3km up the Pass from Nant Peris (SH 605 584).

Owing to the popularity of Snowdon, the rock faces above the Cromlech Boulders (namely, Dinas Cromlech) and the boulders themselves, thee parking areas fill up quickly so an early start is usually required. Alternatively, in the summertime, an early evening start will do the same job.

Luckily for those without a car or who can't find parking, there are other options, namely the excellent park and ride that runs regularly all day (including weekends and bank holidays) from Nant Peris (SH 605 584). Be sure to check timetables first as you don't want to end up missing the last bus and find yourself stuck, of course in these situations hitching is always and option.

Another option is to catch the bus from Llanberis (SH 582 598) and alight at the Cromlech Boulders. After climbing the North Ridge, traverse over Crib Goch's pinnacles to the summit of Snowdon and take the Llanberis Path back down to Llanberis.

Route Description

North Ridge (Photo by Phillip Stasiw)
From the parking space, which will probably be higher up the Pass than Ynys Ettws, walk down the road passing the aforementioned hut until you reach the entrance to Blaen-Nant (SH622569). Cross the bridge which leads to Blaen Nant and shortly after cross another smaller bridge over a stream on the right-hand side.

Follow a small path for 20m and then swing left and follow the the stream up the hillside. After about 150m you will reach a more obvious path and you should follow that. Further streams join the one you're following and you will have to do a lot of river hopping.

To your left you will see the valley side steepen and what seems to be a gully; this is your goal. Cross the stream and head for the gully, as you approach it you will see an obvious waterfall coming down some 100m to the left of it. This is your means of ascent.

You may take either the right or left hand side of this, although most guidebooks suggest that you stick to the left, effectively going in-between the gully and the waterfall.

North Ridge (Photo by DrJonnie)
This will bring you to a plateau from where you should be able to see the scree slopes of Crib Goch falling into the valley. Keep walking right and climb through scree until you reach the apex of the ridge.

It's scrambling from here on as you can follow the ridge to the summit. The sides of the ridge are quite broken so stick to its crest, which is exposed and where all the fun can be found. The scrambling is sustained but never challenging and never exceeds Grade 1 in difficulty.

The North Ridge ends abruptly when it joins the East Ridge (also Grade 1) near the summit of Crib Goch. You could use this as your descent, but most will choose the must better option of carrying over the pinnacles of Crib Goch to the summit of Snowdon itself.

Essential Gear

Most ascents are made during the spring and summer. The area is often cloudy and showers are frequent so full waterproofs are always essential no matter what the weather forecast. A good pare of boots, a map, a compass and a hat are also a necessity.

Most scrambles can be done with no more extra gear than one might carry for a hike, but for the harder routes, some may choose to carry a helmet, rope, harness and a small rack of slings, crabs and nuts.

When snow and ice are likely, an ice axe and crampons should be carried.

Maps

Open Space Web-Map builder Code
Navigation Maps

Ordnance Survey 1:25k Explorer Series OL 17 Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa

Ordnance Survey 1:50k Landranger Series 115 Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa

Harvey Map Services 1:25k: Snowdonia North: Snowdon, Glyders, Carnedds

Harvey Map Services 1:25k: Snowdon

Harvey Map Services/BMC 1: 40k British Mountain Map: Snowdonia North

Road Maps

Ordnance Survey Travel Map 10 Wales/Cymru & West Midlands

Guidebooks

Snowdonia (Official National Park Guide) Snowdonia (Official National Park Guide) by Merfyn Williams with contributions from Ian Mercer and Jeremy Moore

A handy book full of useful information and interesting facts about the National Park.
The Mountains of England and Wales: Vol 1 Wales The Mountains of England and Wales: Vol 1 Wales by John and Ann Nuttall

A classic book covering the Welsh ‘Nuttalls’, which obviously include Snowdon and Crib Goch.
Scrambles in Snowdonia Cicerone Guide: Scrambles in Snowdonia by Steve Ashton

The scramblers bible, nearly 30 years old and still among the best guides to Snowdonian Scrambles.
North Wales Scrambles Northern Edge Books: Scrambles in North Wales by Garry Smith

A super modern guide to Snowdonia's best scrambles.

External Links

Crib Goch
Crib Goch (Photo by Ejnar Fjerdingstad)
Pinnacles of Crib Goch (Photo by Nanuls)
Cwm Glas Mawr (Photo by Nanuls)
Crib Goch
Crib Goch (Photo by Nanuls)
Government Bodies and Official Organisations

Snowdonia National Park Authority

Council for National Parks

Association of National Park Authorities

Natural Resources Wales

CADW

Royal Commission on Ancient & Historical Monuments in Wales

Gwynedd Archaeological Trust

Snowdonia Society

The National Trust

Hiking, Climbing and Mountaineering Organisations and Companies

British Mountaineering Council

The Climbers’ Club

UKClimbing

Plas y Brenin National Mountain Centre

Snowdonia-Active.com

Hightreck Snowdonia

Weather

Mountain Weather Wales

Weather from the Met Office

BBC Weather

Tourist Information

Visit Wales

North Wales Tourism Partnership

Local Information from Gwynedd.com

Local Information from Snowdonia Wales Net

North Wales Index

Travel

Welsh Public Transport Information

UK Train Timetable

Accommodation

Youth Hostel Association in Wales

Pete's Eats

Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel

Maps and Guidebooks

Ordnance Survey

Harvey Map Services

Cicerone Guidebooks

Climbers’ Club Guidebooks

Rockfax

North Wales Bouldering

Cordee Travel and Adventure Sports Bookshop

Wildlife and Conservation

Joint Nature Conservation Committee

Natur Gwynedd

North Wales Wildlife Trust

Royal Society for the Protection of Birds




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Crib GochRoutes