Oistra/Ojstra

Oistra/Ojstra

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.50040°N / 14.65164°E
Additional Information County: Carinthia
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5174 ft / 1577 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ojstra 1.577mFire on the summit

The origin of the name Oistra/Ojstra is the slovenian word 'ojster' which means 'sharp' in english. Ojstra is a 1.577m high mountain in the Karawanken region, Eastern Alps. It is in the community of Eisenkappel-Vellach (555m high), on the border to Slovenia. There are two main ways to the summit which are generally easy.

One way starts in the town of Eisenkappel at 555m and leads to 'Berghof Brunner' (hotel) and some farms up to the summit of Ojstra. It is the longer but nicer way. In spring there are many Helleborus niger (German: Schneerose) and later a lot of purple Erica in blossom. It takes about 3h to get up.

The other way starts at the Woegl farm at about 1.100m. You have to drive up from Eisenkappel through the Lobnig valley for about 8km. From the farm you take the way number 671 to the summit. It takes about 1 hour to walk to the summit.

From the summit of Ojstra you can go on to Topica, 1.641m. It takes about 1.30 hours.

Views from the Summit


Hochobir 2.142mView to Hochobir

Getting There

By Public transport: there are buses from Klagenfurt (regional capital of the district of Carinthia) and Voelkermarkt to Eisenkappel, although not very frequent.
By car: from Slovenia, Croatia take exit Kranj on the highway Ljubljana-Klagenfurt and follow Jezersko/A signs. From Germany and Switzerland take exit Grafenstein on Highway A10, A2 and follow the Seebergsattel/Bad Eisenkappel signs. From Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary take the exit V?rmarkt Ost on the highway A2 and follow the Seebergsattel/Bad Eisenkappel signs.

When to climb

You can hike the mountain from late spring until late fall and maybe with skis in winter.

Other summits in the area

Topica, 1.649m
Kaerntner Storschitz, 1.759m
Uschowa, 1.929m
Feistritzer Spitze (Petzen), 2.113m
Koschutnik Turm, 2.136m
Hochobir, 2.139m
Steiner Alps

Maps

Kompass
WK 065 Klopeiner See - Bad Eisenkappel
ISBN: 3-85491-074-6
Scale: 1:25.000

Kompass
WK 65 Klopeiner See, Karawanken Ost, Steiner Alpen
ISBN: 3854910738
Scale: 1:50.000

External Links

Bad Eisenkappel

Weather conditions

Bad Eisenkappel weather