Orla Perć

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.21849°N / 20.02945°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Current news

The newest victims of Orla Perć

8.8.2007 before 1 PM, probably due to sliping on the wet slabs and falling down to the north side (cca 200 m) from the Zmarzła Przełęcz Pass, has died Bartołomiej S. (19 years) from Łódź.
14.7.2007 - unknown man has fallen down from Żleb Kulczyńskiego, cca 100 m, to the Dolinka Kozia Valley.
1.7.2007 - 53 years old tourist from Częstochowa died during the descent from Kozi Wierch

History

Orla Perć - Orlia cesta / Orlia prť - Adlerweg - Sas út

Orla Perć (Eagle´s Path) was created by Walenty Gadowski (priest) and Franciszek Henryk Nowicki. Nowicki came in 1901 with an idea to build a path from Wodogrzmoty Mickiewicza Waterfalls via Krzyżne, Świnica, Kasprowy Wierch and Czerwone Wierchy to Dolina Kościeliska valley. The path was built in the period of 1903-1906 and it started on Wołoszyn (2151 m; the Wołoszyn section: from Wodogrzmoty Mickiewicza to Krzyżne was closed in 1932). In the years 1904 and 1911, they build approaching paths.
Since 1951 this path isn´t leading to the summit of Wielka Buczynowa Turnia anymore. Todays path starts in Zawrat saddle (2155 m, one-way path) and ends in Krzyżne saddle (2112 m).

Hala Gąsienicowa


This path is very dangerous for unexperienced hikers, so please, be very carefull. Since 1906 we can count almost 100 victims of this trail.

Getting there

The starting points are Zakopane (the biggest Polish tourist and ski center in Tatra mountains) or parking lot in Palenica Białczańska in Dolina Roztoki Valley.

Route description

From Zakopane-Kuźnice to Murowaniec: 5 km, 1.55 hours, blue marked trail.
From the bus stop in Kuźnice (1010 m; the road from Zakopane to Kuźnice is open only for bus, taxi and locals) we take the blue marked path, over Boczań (1226 m) leading to Hala Gąsienicowa (Murowaniec chalet), or the yellow marked path; through Jaworzynka (both path are joining in Przełęcz między Kopami, 1.55 hour). First, we walk through the forest, to the top of Boczan, and then on the ridge of Skupniowy Upłaz (1300-1450 m). From there we have a nice view on Giewont and Czerwone Wierchy.
Giewont

Then we continue over the western slopes of Wielka Kopa Królowa (1531 m) to Przełęcz między Kopami saddle (1499 m).
Wielka Kopa Królowa

From there we continue to Murowaniec hut (1505 m). There is a lot of small wooden buildings (once shepherd´s village, 15 houses).
Beskid

From Hala Gasienicowa we continue in the direction of Czarny Staw Gąsienicowy Lake (30 min; 1624 m, 5th largest Tatra´s lake; depth - 51 m; 17.94 ha). In front of us, there is a nice view on the Żółta Turnia-Granaty-Kozi Wierch ridge and Kościelec (2158 m).
Czarny Staw Gąsienicowy
Kościelce

We are walking on the northern and then eastern shores of this lake to the junction, from which leads a yellow path to Skrajny Granat (2 hours).
Path leadings to Granaty

We continue along the blue marked path to Zmarzły Staw Lake (1788 m; 0.28 ha; depth - 3.7 m). From the next junction, you can take the yellow marked path to Kozia Przełęcz (2137 m).
Zmarzły Staw

The path becomes steep, and we are walking through Nowy Zawrat (path built in 1894-95) to Zawrat (2159 m) saddle (chains). Below the saddle, there is 1.2 m high statue of Virgin Mary.
Statue

From Zawrat (1.50 hour from Czarny Staw) we can go in 50 min to Świnica (2301 m) or we can continue via Orla Perć path (secured on the most of its length with chains, railings). From there, we have a nice view on the whole High Tatras ridge.
From the saddle we take the red marked path (Orla Perć; in the section Zawrat-Kozi Wierch it is an ONE-WAY PATH). First we climb over two summits (2180 and 2200 m) to the summit of Mały Kozi Wierch (2228 m; 15 min from Zawrat).
Mały Kozi Wierch

From there we descent to Zmarzła Przełączka Wyżnia saddle and through the slopes of Zmarzłe Czuby to Zmarzła Przełęcz saddle (2126 m) with 3 m high balance rock.
Zmarzła Przełęcz

Then we continue through the slopes of Zamarła Turnia (2179 m; great climbing routes in the southern wall) to Kozia przełęcz saddle (2137 m, 8 m long ladder; 1 hour from Zawrat). From this saddle we can descent to the left to Czarny Staw Gąsienicowy or to the right to Dolina Pięciu Stawów Polskich (yellow marked paths).
Kozia przełęcz

We are going in the direction of Kozie Czuby (2266 m) summit (great climbing).
Kozie Czuby

From Kozie Czuby we have to descent to Kozia Przełęcz Wyżnia saddle (2240 m) and from there, finally, to the summit of Kozi Wierch (2291 m; the highest mountain in Poland lying wholly on the Polish territory and the highest point of this path; 2.30 h from Zawrat).
Kozi Wierch

Nice view on the whole Belianske and Vysoke Tatry mountains.
High Tatras

From Kozi Wierch we descent over the southern slopes to the junction(black marked path is going to Dolina Pięciu Stawów Polskich). From this junction we are going in the direction of Przełączka nad Dolinką Buczynową saddle (2225 m), via Buczynowa Strażnica (2242 m) in Czarne Ściany and through the couloir (Żleb Kulczyńskiego ; black marked path) down to another junction.
Przełączka nad Dolinką Buczynową

The red marked path (Orla Perć) continues steeply through the chimney to Zadni Granat (2240 m). From there we are going over the Pośrednia Sieczkowa Przełączka saddle to Pośredni Granat (2234 m) and Skrajny Granat (2225 m; 1.40 h from Kozi Wierch). From there, the path descents to Granacka przełęcz saddle (2145 m).
Granaty

From there we climb over the Orle Turniczki , and through the slopes of Orla Baszta (2177 m) to Pościel Jaśińskiego saddle. Here starts the final part of Orla Perć path. The path is leading through Buczynowe Czuby below Wielka (2184 m) to Mała Buczynowa Turnia (2172 m) and finally to the Krzyżne saddle (2112 m; 5.45 h from Zawrat).

From Krzyżne we can descent along the yellow marked path to Murowaniec hut (2 hours).

Second approach to Orla Perć is from Dolina Pięciu Stawów Polskich (Valley of the Five Polish Lakes - Przedni Staw, Mały Staw, Wielki Staw, Wole Oko, Zadni Staw Polski), but I think (according to my experiences) that this approach is more exhausting, because you have to go through two valleys (Dolina Roztoki and above mentioned Dolina Pięciu Stawów). From Wodogrzmoty Mickiewicza we take the green marked path leading to the Dolina Pięciu Stawów, 2 hours. Below the start of this valley we are passing by Wielka Siklawa waterfall (70 m). From Wielki Staw (1665 m) we can take the yellow marked path leading to Krzyżne (2 hours) or we can continue along the blue marked path to another junction, from which leads a black marked path to the summit of Kozi Wierch (good for descent; 1.20 h), and after few minutes, there is another one junction (yellow marked path leads to Kozia przełęcz saddle, 1.10 h). The blue marked path continues through the valley, below the Kołowa Czuba (2105 m) to the Zawrat saddle (2159 m; 1.30 h).

External Links

Mountain Rescue Team
Murowaniec hut
Web cam Zakopane
Pięć Stawów hut
Orla Perć - Gallery

Panoramas from Orla Perć

Panorama of Hight Tatras

Panorama of Hight Tatras

Panorama of Hight Tatras

Západní Tatry

Granaty

Hala Gąsienicowa

Hala Gąsienicowa

High Tatras range

High Tatras range

High Tatras range

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
peterbud

peterbud - Apr 28, 2008 10:25 am - Voted 10/10

1:5000 multilingual map

Although I don't have it, this map seems to be very good. I've seen it for sale the in Five Lakes hut but surely it's available in other nearby huts as well.

dmiki

dmiki - Nov 2, 2008 5:40 pm - Hasn't voted

:(((

31-year old Hungarian woman falls to her death in strong winds http://index.hu/politika/bulvar/lengyeltatra/

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
 
 
GranatyRoutes
 
 
 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.