eTrex Legend C

 

eTrex Legend C
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title eTrex Legend C
Manufacturer Garmin
Page By millsb40
Page Type Jan 14, 2005 / Jun 13, 2007
Object ID 1230
Hits 5194
Vote
See the world in bright, vivid color! The newest addition to the eTrex® line features a sunlight-readable color display and enhanced performance.

Comes pre-loaded with U.S. basemap; 24-megabyte memory accepts detailed maps from MapSource ® software (sold separately)

Upload detail maps via USB interface (cable included); power is supplied through interface

256-color TFT display technology produces a bright, sunlight-readable display

Improved built-in patch antenna maintains tight satellite-lock
Follow 50 reversible routes with 500 user waypoints with names and graphic symbols

Audible alarms for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint and clock

Trip-computer calculates current and average speed, sunset and sunrise, trip time and distance

Weatherproof case keeps eTrex functioning in wet conditions; waterproof to IEC 529 lPX7 standards

WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) enabled receiver delivers sub-3-meter accuracy

Two AA batteries (sold separately) supply up to 36 hours of typical use

Compatible with most MapSource products including BlueChart®, City Select® and U.S. TOPO 24K,
Comes with: PC/USB interface cable, MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager CD-ROM, lanyard, owners manual and quick reference guide

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

millsb40 - Jan 14, 2005 12:45 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is a great little unit, and appears very similar to the eTrex Legend, but the color screen makes viewing really easy, clear, and bright. This unit would get 5 stars but the thumb control is on the left hand side, and since I am right handed, my fat thumb covers half the screen when I use the rocker controller on the front. As far as battery life goes, they really aren’t lying, in warm weather 36 hours is no problem. Maybe if you played the built in games and used the backlight continuously it wouldn’t last as long. 24 megabytes of memory allows you to download tons of topo maps if you have the software (which I do, and it gives relatively detailed maps). Overall, really impressed with it’s ability to maintain signal in heavy forest, battery life, ease of use, and performance in general.

Update 2/27/05: Upgraded the unit to 5 stars, I've gotten use to it left handed... performs better than I expected, trip meter is really a great tool, shows distance traveled, average speed, very useful info when judging headway.

gjonbelay - Mar 13, 2009 8:34 pm - Voted 4/5

I have no complaints
I bought this GPS a couple of years ago and it has served me well. For me it was a compromise between light weight and lots of features. I bought the Topo software to go with it. Without the Topos I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much. That's why I gave it 4 stars.

The longest trip I used it on was 4 days. I made sure I always turned it off to manage the battery life and never used it with cold batteries. I did not have to change batteries during the trip.

I don't think they make this model anymore. If you see it on Craigslist snatch it up.

NCclimber - Apr 2, 2009 11:46 am - Voted 4/5

Great device
This GPS usit has helped me out in more than one occasion for getting back to the right trail, and back to the car. I agree with the above review, the Topo software, although a little lacking in detail and accuracy in landmarks, makes the device a lot more useful. Also with Google's attempt to take over the world, they offer a nice advantage in drawing routes in Google Earth with satellite shots of trails, importing it into Garmin's Mapsource, and uploading it onto the Legend. The accuracy is right on. Useful for trails that split multiple times and route descriptions are lacking. Overall a great device. I've got the Legend HCx, and it has never lost signal around mountains and in dense tree cover.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3