GAZ Turbo 270

 

GAZ Turbo 270
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title GAZ Turbo 270
Manufacturer Gaz
Page By keema
Page Type Mar 5, 2003 / Jan 17, 2007
Object ID 691
Hits 8128
Vote
This stove provides instant heat output without priming



* Built-in screen blocks wind

* Fueled by butane/propane Gaz(R) cartridges for clean and easy care--sold separately. Gaz 270 at about $4.50 and Gaz 470 for about $5.50

* Compact and light weight

* Comes with a zippered carrying pouch.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

keema - Mar 5, 2003 6:56 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
This stove works great in mild weather. When I have tried to use in low temps, lower than upper 20°'s, I had trouble with fuel flow (frreezing?). The first time I experienced this, I thought I was running low on fuel, but it worked fine when I checked at home. Also, as with any canister type you have to dispose of empty fuel canisters. Being a French import the canisters have become harder to find. Two stores I have used in the past no longer carry the canisters. Now it is pretty much REI.

William Marler - Mar 5, 2003 7:51 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
This can be an excellent stove with modifications. I have checked out this stove in MEC but have not purchased it because it lacks a few things. I use something similar an older Markill Stormy hanging stove. Having the stove hang frees up floor space in the vestibule and prevents accidents such as knocking it over. A modification you can do is cut a neoprene pouch to hold the canister. This can help keep it warmer. Detaching and keeping the canister in your sleeping bag will do a good job as well. Adding a copper band that runs down from the flame to another band that wraps aground the canister is a way we keep things going during the day. The stove should be monitored at all times but especially so if you do this. The bands can be made by cutting copper piping, spreading them out and hammering them flat. One piece should be molded to the circumference of the canister you will use. The other piece runs up the side inside the burner unit and over the flame in the up position. In the down or off position at the bottom of the canister the band will be below the burner unit and not transferring heat. Then weld the two pieces together. You will be able to slide the band up and down the canister into the flame. The heat transfers down the band and heats the canister just enough to improve the fuel flow. Getting the canisters from one country is a hassle. You cannot fly them in your luggage. You must make sure there is a supply where you are heading.

farkenclimbin - Feb 12, 2004 8:22 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I've had my Gaz for about 8 years and I use it every year. I've only used it for low altitute climbing, and backpacking but, its works fine. Light and small- what can you say more?

Super Dave - Feb 4, 2006 5:55 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Have been using this stove for over 5 years and have never had a problem with it. Used it primarily for backpacking at 7000 to 9500 feet elevation, about 15'F at the coldest. Very reliable and heats up quickly, especially if you put up some wind block. Easy to use, assemble, etc. Haven't had any trouble finding canisters for it.

Grampahawk - Jul 13, 2007 4:45 pm - Voted 2/5

Banned in California
On recent trip to climb MT Langley, I was unpleasently surprised to find out that this stove is banned in California. You cannot purchase fuel for it becaue CA now requires a threaded conection. I don't know if this is the case in any other states because I primarily used it in New England. (Thank you to Jon Turner, the owner of "Elevations" in Lone Pine for lending me a stove. If you're in the area to summit Mt Whitney, or any nearby Mountains, visit his store). This stove does not perform well (or at all) in really cold conditions- 0 and under. Other than that I have used this stove for 8 years in warmer conditions and lower altitudes and like it a lot. They make a special fuel for higher altitudes but I have not tried it. I use my MSR for the cold weather.

hikin_jim - Nov 25, 2009 1:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Banned in California
Not sure where these rumors get started, but there is no ban of any kind in California on non-threaded canisters. Campingaz canisters as well as Coleman Powermax canisters (both non-threaded) are completely legal in California. There might be a ban on the old puncture type canisters (where the stove had to be left attached until the canister was empty), but there is no ban on canisters simply because they have thread or not.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6