Moonlight

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Moonlight
Manufacturer Black Diamond
Page By marcminish
Page Type Jul 23, 2002 / Jul 23, 2002
Object ID 415
Hits 4164
Vote
LED bulbs provide even lighting throughout your field of view, with no blank spots in the beam; LED bulbs won't burn out

Adjustable three-strap elastic headband holds the light securely in place

Highly water-resistant housing keeps the three AAA batteries out of the elements; batteries included

Reviews


Viewing: 1-14 of 14

marcminish - Jul 23, 2002 11:59 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Not as bright as halogen, but it puts out enough light that you can easily do camp chores, follow your trail, climb, whatever. What it lacks in brightness it makes up for by saving weight. Not only is the lamp itself light, but since it uses LEDs (they burn much longer and use less juice) you don't have to carry a set of back up batteries.

miztflip - Aug 2, 2002 11:39 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Just picked one of these up two weeks ago and love this thing. I really enjoyed my Tikka but the Moonlight is much more comfortable, fits my helmet better, has a pivot for light direction and holds up to rain and water much better.



Also the four LED's seem to be much brighter.

Brian Jenkins - Sep 14, 2002 10:41 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I love this thing. After using a Petzyl Micro, I won't go back. Best feature is its weight, I don't feel it on my head and the lighting is great. Fits great on my helmet too without wanting to flip off it.

PeterOrth - Oct 22, 2002 4:38 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
No complaints on this product. Spent lots of time researching the BD and Tikka. The adjustable head makes it worthwhile by itself. Batteries last a long time, but become noticably dimmer after several cold weather climbs. Bought one for my girlfriend, but didn't think about the pony tail issue, which turns out to be kind of a hassle for her. Still, she digs it and just wears her hair differently to avoid the issue. I think these are now at REI for about $28.

marcminish - Nov 12, 2002 2:22 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
I need to amend my earlier review dated July 23, 2002.

On my last climbing trip I packed my Moonlight into a plastic box with some other odds and ends for my trip. The pin that mounts the headlamp part to the head harness broke. I have also had trouble with the wire connections inside of the casing.

I sent the unit back to Black Diamond and received a new one in the mail free of charge.

rpc - Dec 16, 2002 9:40 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
An excellent product - light and dependable.

More than sufficient for night hiking. The batteries just keep on going - lasted thru. a rainy, cold night in Mt. Rainier NP during an unexpected (bivy-sack free) bivy.

Probably too weak for climbing. Rapping an unknown route in the dark with only this headlamp was a bit unnerving.

Durability issues: The connector cable running from light bulb housing to the battery pack in the back loosened up after about a year of every-weekend-type use. REI replaced it for me free of charge. Same thing happened to my friend's Moonlight as well after roughly same amount of use.

Dean - Jan 14, 2003 4:18 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Great LED light. I like the swivel set up that allows you to position the light where you want it (the Tikka doesn't). The on and off switch is pretty foolproof as well and will not be "bumped" or "accidentally" turned on while in your pack. Illumination is good for the trail and camp but not for climbing. This fits onto my helmet (Edilrid) nicely and is a solid product. The light didn't start dimming until the 25 hour mark and even then, not a problem. I found that I wanted to change out the batt's at about the 50 hour mark although illumination was still ok for reading at this point. I recently used this light on a climb of Mt. Hood and starting at 2am I found it to be very adequate. A nice product.

Bryan W - Jun 5, 2003 3:44 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I found this headlamp to be a pretty good unit. I would like to have a brighter light for our early alpine start, but it is OK. Let somebody else lead the team until the sun comes up and then you have more than enough light to stay on their heels. I did appreciate the soft light around camp. It was great for doing chores and not over powering when trying to read. It burns for hours, which is a big plus.

Andy - Aug 4, 2003 9:50 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This is my first headlamp. It works great for camp chores and hiking along a trail. It's not quite bright enough for route finding though. I also like that the bulbs last for ever and the batteries almost last forever (50+ hours).

Erik Beeler - Nov 16, 2003 9:04 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Wish I could have reviewed this head lamp a back when I got it. This is a great head lamp but the early model has issues. Dont buy the first model unless you can return it. My buddies and I have bought four of them and have returned all of them when the became stobe lights or refused to work at all due to a faulty wire in the battery housing. The REI customer service rep I talked to said they got lots of them back.



The new model, which I own, does not seem to have this problem so I can recommend this head lamp. The new model has adjustable brightness levels so you can tell them from the early model.



I love the amount of light it casts around me when I am hiking, camping and ice or trad climbing at night. Not great for far away but awsome for up close. Just stay away from the old model unless you buy it from REI or somewhere else that will take it back if it stops working.

Hack - Nov 22, 2003 9:52 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Good headlamp. Used to navigate trails to a decent degree during a moonless night (managed to get lost once though). The only downfall is the same that exists for led's and that is lack of range, I think I would like to upgrade to one of Black Diamonds combo lights. The batteries last for ever with this lamp which is great.

scottfromcali - Mar 31, 2004 7:27 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
A very usefull small, lightwieght product. It works well and I find myself using it even when not in the backcountry, hiking, camping, or climbing. Battery life is forever, I have yet to go through the initial set of batteries for this thing. Simple to use, good quality, and in a small package.



Cons: The typical LED issue, no range. This is especially annoying trying to naviagate in the dark anything past 10ft is out of the question. I have since switched to a Princeton tec LED/Halogen light combo with a remote but optional 6 C battery pack for cold weather. Otherwise it uses 2AA witch is perfect 99% of the time.

Chuck P - Aug 25, 2004 6:50 pm - Voted 1/5

Untitled Review
I bought this product about a year ago. I liked the light weight and long life battery expectancy. However, I found that the quality of light was poor, at least on the trail. I noticed that I had poor depth perception and that the range was fairly short. Maybe that is typical of LED light sources. What really disappointed me was the malfuction on a Rainier summit day. At 1 AM I find out that wiring inside the battery case had come apart in transit. After wasting a half hour trying to fix it we ended up taping a hand held light to a helmet. I do not recomend this product for anything but the lightest use.

The Defiant One - Mar 28, 2005 7:57 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I first borrowed this from a friend, and then i borrowed it permanantly from him.

PROS: if you get the newer version, the wire thing doesn't come apart and the lights have different settings of brightness and blinking.

The LEDs last forever and with three lithium batteries, i don't bring spares. The light output is fine for most situations.

This thing is small and light and comfortable/secure enough for night-trail running.

CONS: LEDs simply aren't as bright as bulbs, but this isn't a problem in most situations.



bottom line: I heart this product

Viewing: 1-14 of 14