Myo 3

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Myo 3
Manufacturer Petzl
Page By Erik Beeler
Page Type Nov 24, 2003 / Nov 24, 2003
Object ID 879
Hits 3885
Vote
This headlamp offers both a powerful xenon halogen beam for long-distance lighting and three super-bright white LEDs for close-proximity lighting.

Whether you're getting an alpine start up the trail or looking for the next rappel station, MYO offers power and control to find your way in the dark

LED option offers maximum efficiency, yet with a twist of the switch, you can bump up the power to a long-range projection beam

Svelte weight and compact size takes up precious little space and weight allocation in your pack

Thoughtfully designed, MYO features external LED lighting that eliminates shadow spots and increases the quality of usable light

Patented, rotating bezel switch allows easy one-hand on/off and beam adjustment with bare or gloved hands

New MYO reflector projects a beam of light up to 100 meters; adjustable lamp unit directs light where needed

Water-resistant housing excels in rainy and snowy conditions

Ergonomic design feels light and secure on your head; wide straps adjust to fit over helmets and bulky winter hats

Coiled wiring eliminates snagging and strain on electrical connection points

Reviews


Viewing: 1-4 of 4

Erik Beeler - Nov 24, 2003 12:34 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Nice unit. The three LEDs give plenty of light for those late night hikes in or even or a late night climb. If you really require a lot of light though then pick the MoonLight or better yet the Myo 5 as they cast more light.



I really like being able to switch to the halogen lamp for route finding because the LEDs don't shine all that far.



I was going to give it four stars but realized all the niggles I had with it were covered by the Myo 5 or the belted versions of the Myo 3 and 5.

petersbike - Dec 13, 2003 2:21 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This new addition to the Petzl line is a great choice for the value minded climber. I specifically bought mine for adventure racing. It has 3 leds that provide adequate light for walking ; and even running on non technical trails(ie: fireroads).Nice bright xenon lamp for spotting checkpoints. It is light weight and adjusts very well, even fits over a bike helmet. Good choice. If you need something that will last longer in cold environments, try the belted models.

pphlux - Mar 1, 2004 1:02 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I bought this lamp as a replacement for my older Princeton Tec Solo (which was functional, but not very good, especially battery life.) I use the LEDs almost 100% of the time, but I have found the conventional bulb to project a bit further. I have used it a few times for night navigation (probably about 10 hours), and take it with me on every backpacking trip (perhaps 10 trips), and I have still not replaced the batteries that came with it!



The only reason it gets four stars is because the yellow plastic around the LEDs becomes illuminated when the LEDs are in use. This means when you're wandering around in the dark, hoping for your eyes to adjust, there is a bright yellow orb floating around at the top of your field of vision.



However, all Petzl lamps are similar design, and from my experience, I don't think I'd buy any other.

awilsondc - Jul 25, 2007 12:34 am - Voted 4/5

Pretty Good...
I bought this headlamp with the intention of never buying another one. I used it for 2 or 3 years and liked it fairly well. The LED's are good enough for trail hiking, and the halogen is useful for checking out your distant surroundings. I really like how the halogen is adjustable from a narrow beam to a wide beam. This being said, I recieved a Tikka Plus as a gift and the new LED technology in the TP made it far superior to my Myo 3 (could be an older version w/ inferior LEDs). I lent the Myo 3 to a friend and haven't missed it at all. Not even sure if I'll ask for it back.

+: Adjustable halogen bulb in addition to LED lighting.
-: Heavy...

Viewing: 1-4 of 4