Silent Partner

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Silent Partner
Manufacturer Wren Industries
Page By TodoVertical
Page Type Nov 3, 2002 / Nov 3, 2002
Object ID 537
Hits 9643
Vote
Solo climbers have wished for a speed sensitive device that would automatically feed out rope while the climber advanced, but quickly lock in any kind of fall. The Silent Partner accomplishes this. It has a speed dependent mechanism that allows rope to easily move through it at typical climbing speeds, yet lock up in a fall. The Silent Partner attaches to your waist harness; no chest harness is needed. The device resembles a pulley on steroids. To use, the climber ties a clove hitch around the wheel. Inside the wheel is the centrifugal mechanism that allows the rope to smoothly feed while climbing. The increased speed of a fall causes the wheel to lock and the clove hitch stops the fall. There are neither sharp teeth nor radical rope bends, so the device is very gentle to your rope. The Silent Partner has been proven on many diverse climbs by a variety of climbers. It can be used for leading or top roping. The unit is very strong and damage resistant. It will catch a fall in any attitude, whether upright or upside down.

IMPORTANT:

  • Like any device it must be backed up — never trust your life to a single tool.
  • The Silent Partner comes with an extensive instruction manual.
  • The device is totally CNC machined from aerospace alloys — no castings are used.
  • This is not a device for novice climbers.
  • It requires a strong understanding of advanced rigging techniques.
Online Resources:Similiar Products:

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

TodoVertical - Nov 3, 2002 6:44 am - Voted 2/5

Untitled Review
I bought and used the thing to find out that it does not works as good as the manufacturer says. It is big and quite bulky to use; and while free climbing the rope does not run as good as anybody would patiently hope. It is secure and easy to unlock. I used it while opening the first solo new route on ´La Esfinge´ (The Sphinx), I fell twice and it did stop me gently. I sold it as soon as I got back. I do not think it worths the price the retailer asks for.

Hendere - Aug 10, 2003 10:46 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I have had this for about a year now. It takes a while to learn how to use it. After I figured it out, I am pretty happy with it. Choice of rope makes a huge difference on how it feeds. Climbing with my old 10.5 is a nightmare, when I switched to a new 10.2 it feeds smooth. If you use it in the official manner, backed up and all, there is a lot to learn and get used to. It still scares the heck out of me to fall on it, so I generally use it on easy climbs. I have a friend that took a upside down fall on a soloist (didn't lock up) and got hurt. It is nice not to worry about that with the Silent Partner.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2