It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:41 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Mt. Whitney conditions

I am going up the Mountaineers Route on Mt. Whitney on the 15th of March and would like to know what the snow pack and trail conditions are like. I have done this trail before and I'm trying to deside on skis or snowshows. If any one knows who far up the road is clear also. Does any one know a good site for the weather up there and where I can find the Avy ...
Read more : Mt. Whitney conditions | Views : 5351 | Replies : 9

Another Photo Quiz from Way Back

www.thehighsierra.org

This shot has been a puzzle to me since I started digging into Glen Dawson's 1931 photos. It is numbered such that it falls into the series that should be the North Palisade climb. Clearly it is Jules out there but the fellow in the foreground isn't anyone who was with the group that day, or so I believe. Can anyone positively ID the location of this ...
Read more : Another Photo Quiz from Way Back | Views : 1140 | Replies : 1

Ansel Adams photo - identify the peaks?

In Ansel Adams famous photo, "Winter Sunrise from Lone Pine," what are the peaks in the photo? ...especially the ones on the left side.

Here's a large image of the photo:
http://genevaanderson.files.wordpress.c ... unrise.jpg

Lone Pine Peak is in the left-center and of course Whitney on the right, but which peaks are those on the very left edge behind the southern shoulder of Lone Pine Peak?

Thanks.
Read more : Ansel Adams photo - identify the peaks? | Views : 15584 | Replies : 37

Whitney - June (Father's Day weekend)

Hi,

Who on here has a permit for this June's Father's Day weekend on the Mountaineer's Route? I have my own but was wondering who I might run in to and, if schedules align, partner up.

Thanks
Jon
Read more : Whitney - June (Father's Day weekend) | Views : 1292 | Replies : 0

Best Sierra/Mt. Whitney Guidebook

I was hoping to come out to the Sierras for a week or two in June. Looking at maybe Whitney and/or some other 14ers (Sill looks doable) or interesting peaks. What would be a recommended guidebook? Any recommended peaks?
Read more : Best Sierra/Mt. Whitney Guidebook | Views : 2566 | Replies : 15

Kettle Dome

I am planning a trip to Kettle Dome this summer. Some of the group are not experienced rock climbers. On the standard Northeast Ridge route, how bad is the exposure? It's rated class 4. How much rope would be advisable to get novice climbers over the most difficult pitch? First hand information from anyone who has done the route would be appreciated.
Read more : Kettle Dome | Views : 1483 | Replies : 0

Baldy Confidential

Since Mt Baldy is within eyesight of ~25 million SoCal folks it’s bound to see some wacky stuff.
Here’s a small taste of some of the neat stuff you can see/do on Mt Baldy….god I love Mt Baldy :D :D :D

Dream of breaking the land speed record ...
Read more : Baldy Confidential | Views : 7592 | Replies : 26

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557977 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136471